The Deid Tree and the Fleur de Mort

Gianluca - I will share a colour version later. 90% of my photography is b&w. I just find colour always looks false, whereas b&w is so obviously false it doesn’t matter. So I’m not very good at colour photography, and therefore tend to avoid it. The colour version of this flower, though, is quite good, though the more I worked on it, the closer I got to b&w!

Brian - cheers, laddie!

Gianluca - I will share a colour version later. 90% of my photography is b&w. I just find colour always looks false, whereas b&w is so obviously false it doesn’t matter. So I’m not very good at colour photography, and therefore tend to avoid it. The colour version of this flower, though, is quite good, though the more I worked on it, the closer I got to b&w!

Brian - cheers, laddie!

I understand you, b&w is a magnet, everyone would like to see the world in black and white (especially nowadays and try to imagine what I am talking about). But colors... The colors! Johannes Itten's book The Art of Color opened my eyes when I was still post-young.
In addition, I know that decaying flowers are a magnificent photographic subject in color.

In this instance I like both. Originally where the petals join the stalk, there were areas of green and red that were just too eye-catching for my taste. So I tried to get rid of them. It took me longer than I cared for. The b&w took literally 30 seconds or less. Actually, if you are looking on a computer screen, click on the b&w image - it looks better when larger.

Actually, if you are looking on a computer screen, click on the b&w image - it looks better when larger.

The problem is that here in my screen the images are quite small. But I understand that big images would mean more costs for whoever make this forum possible.

Both very nice. I particularly like the drama in the first image.
Regarding the b+w versus colour flower renderings, both are lovely in their own way, but for me the subtle colours and softer look of the latter suit the faded glory of the flower better, but that's me. It's such personal thing, I suppose. Anyway, great stuff 🙂

Cheers, Ralph The Peacemaker, bringing us all together, healing divisions.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you like both images, or all three rather. I just find colour hard to do. Always have.

Back