La Défense

Gianluca Drago

Going through my old photos I came across this one. It is the late 19th century monument "La Défense de Paris" in memory of the siege of Paris in the Franco-Prussian War. In this juxtaposition between the old style of the statue and the new style of architecture surrounding it, one seems to sense the fear for the future. While we today in Italy, Europe and the world are beginning to feel a legitimate growing fear of a past that is pushing to return.

Paris, 2009.

coolpix p80-dscn4704.jpg

Last edited:
Very arresting and impressive shot, Gianluca. The new architecture seems to denote a faceless internationalism, while the old tries to remind us of a lost indomitable spirit that has alas been dominated.
I see in the white cloud a giant cat-featured god, just before the Paw of Judgement strikes!

Very arresting and impressive shot, Gianluca. The new architecture seems to denote a faceless internationalism, while the old tries to remind us of a lost indomitable spirit that has alas been dominated.
I see in the white cloud a giant cat-featured god, just before the Paw of Judgement strikes!

Thank you, Rob! I can see the cat.

I like and agree with Rob regarding that tension between old and new. The way the building seems to be almost looking directly back at the old guard gives extra emphasis. I'm still looking for that cat, though..

Back