La Paloma Theatre

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
On February 11, 1928 La Paloma Theatre opened with the film "The Cohen's And Kelly's in Paris." The gala event was attended by Hollywood starlet and soon to be Academy Award winner Mary Pickford. It has been rumored that she rode her bicycle all the way to La Paloma from Fairbanks Ranch for the event.

La Paloma (The Dove) was one of the first theatres to show "Talkies." Talking pictures premiered in 1927 with the Warner Bros. film "The Jazz Singer" starring Al Jolson. Making the transition from silent pictures to "talkies" didn't happen over night, so La Paloma was also equipped with a beautiful pipe organ, a standard piece of theatre equipment during the Silent era. Films in the early days of motion pictures were usually preceded by a vaudeville stage act, and La Paloma was well suited for that.

d563033c-c3e8-4889-94e8-2e29dd976034-l

These days, it's a cool vintage alternative to the movie theatre chains, with low-tech projection and sound, old school concessions stand, and fabulous 20's architecture.

Every Friday night at midnight, they show the The Rocky Horror Picture Show, complete with regulars dressed in suitably risqué garb.

Last edited:
Great shot chris.
And great write up of the history of the place.

Nice one, Chris. I like the tones of the adobe walls and tile roof against the dark sky. The marquee has seen better days to be sure. Ads to the charm.

The Bay Theater in Seal Beach is another of the old ones. Not as old or picturesque as La Paloma, but on Sunday evenings they show an old film,...a film projected through a projector, that is. You can hear the soft whirring of the machinery behind you. Such is the clientelle that you have no worries about cell phones and texting distractions. People are just there to see a film. Its delightful. I'm sure La Paloma is the same.

Thanks everyone - La Paloma is quite the experience in many ways.

The main LA to SanDiego rail line runs along the back of the theatre, so every 20 mins or so you get a very realistic stereo train traveling across the soundstage! :D

Thanks Pete - I'm a corset and fishnets man myself! :D

Back