The Lightroom Thread

When should you create a new catalog, Martin?
This depends on your workflow Brian. I have a main catalog on my desktop which is my main achieve catalog this has every image I have ever shot and stands with over 400,000 images on. I also have a working catalog which all jobs start on and through lightroom the jobs are processed sent out to clients and then exported to the main achieve catalog when complete. Personal work is treated as a job just the same except I am the client.
If your shooting just for yourself you can do just 1 main catalog or you can create a catalog for each year you shoot.
ITs really dependant on you and how you wish to work. I would always go with a main catalog and if you have a good workflow you can find any image you ever shot. I will write a post this week trying to explain my workflow so you get a idea of how I work.

When I'm developing an image, the name of the title is too big, can get in the way, and can be a distraction. Any way to minimise it?

It doesn't block much in this shot, but it was still distracting. Crop:

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 22.50.34.png

Press I on your keypad and it will toggle through and remove it all together rob or command J to bring up the info box panel and change it there

There Probably is somewhere but if you go through the menu bar at the top it should show you the short cut next to the action. Il try and dig out a copy for you later.

Theres a lot Rob. Main ones are to move to different modules and toggling panels to give yourself a larger workspace for your images also Cmd A for selecting all images is a useful one

It's worth looking at LightZone if you don't have Lightroom and it's free. The Screenshots Martin posted of Lightroom are virtually identical to the LightZone interface and controls.

Ian

Back