Critique Welcomed The Luma Light Bulb Factory--Glasgow

Brian Moore

I had often wondered about the glass tower on this building. Passing east or west on the M8 motorway between Glasgow and Renfrew the tower always stood prominently visible on the north side of the motorway, begging explanation. (Though today it is mostly obscured by trees, so I assume most passers-by just pass by.) For many years I had speculated that it might have something to do with the old Renfrew Airport,...perhaps a control tower of some kind?

Then one day a couple of years ago I was thumbing through a little book showing examples of architectural styles. And there it was: a drawing of this building. It is the Luma Light Bulb Factory. It was built in 1938. The tower was to test the capacity and longevity of the various light bulbs. It must have been quite something to see in its hay-day.

I was in Scotland for a few days last August and found time to get this image.

It's no longer a light bulb factory. It has been converted into housing.

Sigma DP1 Merrill

Thanks for that illuminating post, Brian. I've never passed by it. Looks to have nice glass in the tower. Places like that should be used for industry, not housing. But I guess there's not much industry these days.

Lovely tones to the fotie.

Thanks for that illuminating post, Brian. I've never passed by it. Looks to have nice glass in the tower. Places like that should be used for industry, not housing. But I guess there's not much industry these days.

Lovely tones to the fotie.
Thanks Rob. Much appreciated. After the light bulb factory went out of business the building was used at one point for caravan sales. It ultimately fell into disrepair. Perhaps you're right,...that buildings like this should be used for industry. But I'm just glad it hasd found purposeful re-use and wasn't demolished.

Back