The Other Babelsberg Studio

Very interesting. Although I'm a member of the real Babelsberg Studio, I'd never heard of this other one. Metropolis must be one of the greatest films of all time. I couldn't believe it when I saw the original. Amazing.

Last edited:
The film studios are about a 10 minute walk from our apartment. They have now demolished the back lots which is a shame. These were where they filmed The Pianist and many other films that required architecture of that period. Occasionally you find them filming in the streets - mainly TV dramas though - and you get the odd call for extras. Ina is still hoping to be 'discovered' on her way to the S-Bahn in the morning!

There is also a film park (a sort of mini MGM world) that is open from April to October and a large, new expo / studio space called the Metropolis Halle. On the board outside the studios is shows what is in production and in post-production at the moment (a lot of PP is done at Babelsberg) but I haven't been past recently to see what's going on. This it the address of the competition!

http://www.studiobabelsberg.com/en/

Potsdam has a film museum as well although their best exhibits seem to have been nicked by the Berlin one now (dressing room of Marlene Dietrich and much of the Metropolis stuff). They do cover the UFA (pronounced oofa, not as the BBC managed it - morons!) though. It just been renovated and so must pay another visit. They also show films and a have a Metropolis special coming up (after I'm back in the UK though :( ).

Here's a shot of the backlots from the street before they knocked them down.

Backlot-1_zps7446b3ff.jpg~original

Back