The Singer

Brian Moore

As I mentioned in a previous post we had visited Venice Beach and the weather was dreadful at first. We had taken Sadie along with us since she had never been to Venice Beach and such are the draconian and canine un-friendly laws of this land that she was unwelcome in any dry establishment. Therefore, as all the family dined on lunch me and Sadie walked the boardwalk. Gave me a chance to get a few foties.

I became aware of a loud noise; evidently human in origin. From a distance I spotted this chap--I'll call him The Singer--striding purposefully while belting out heavy metal lyrics at the top of his lungs. I waited until he got to the spot you see him in in the first fotie and then I snapped the picture. He spotted me and came over and asked if I had any food I could share with him. I told him I was fresh out of provisions and he immediately apologized for bothering me and strode purposefully on his way.

Purposefully? To where and why?

He soon returned. Purposefully striding it seemed. And also belting out the heavy metal lyrics. Back and forth along the boardwalk he went. He appeared about once every 20 minutes, first from this direction and then from that. Always purposefully striding and always belting out the HM lyrics.

Over an hour elapsed between the first fotie below and the second. On spotting me taking the second fotie he approached and again asked if I had any food I could share. I didn't. He apologized and then remarked on my accent--which is of course Scottish--and revealed that he too was part Scot and part Irish.

On close inspection The Singer had remarkably blue-green eyes and a deep tan, as befitting a chap striding purposefully up and down the Venice Boardwalk day in and day out.

I actually found him to be very likable and if I hadn't been fresh out of provisions I would have gladly shared.

That is my family in the background of the 2nd fotie. My wife and two daughters, my wee brother, his wife and two boys, and of course, Sadie.

AristaPrem400at800-026.jpg

AristaPrem400at800-037.jpg

What a difference a back-story makes Brian. Without it the second shot would have far less appeal whereas the first stands well on its own, the the wind and rain lashed 'promenade'. However, I do like the bleak 60's architecture in the second. I assume also that there is a library or bookshop off the the left. Just a guessed based on the apparent impatience of Sadie!! ;)

Thanks very much, Pete. I didn't spot any book shops on the Venice Beach boardwalk. However, I think there may have been a person reading poetry just outside the frame, and that is what likely excited Sadie. Thanks again, Pete.

The place is full of natters! ;)

Love the shot in the rain - very atmospheric

Props for getting out in it - I stupidly left my cameras at home 'because it was raining'... yep I know... :(

LOL - damn auto spelling nanny - that's nutters!! :D

Back