Thinking of selling my D40

Alastair Cummins

At the moment, im thinking of selling my D40 and buying something a bit newer with a few more features and with movie recording, like this package here from Jessops.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78994/show.html

But looking at Ebay for example the prices the D40 goes for varies alot and I was hoping someone could give me a rough valuation for when I do a proper for sale advert.

The camera is boxed and comes with all instructions and cables etc
The body is in good condition with a small scratch on the display screen and a bit of wear on a couple of the buttons.
It would come with Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 vr lenses
Centon carry case
And a 8gb class 4 Sandisk memory card

Cheers :D

1st question Ally............are the lens you have in good working order and of the same spec as the ones that come with the D5000 in that Jessops Deal you have linked to.

Daz

£150-£200 for d40 + 18-55 lens depending on condition
I'd keep the other bits ... Surly they will be useful with the upgrade you go for?

... Ignor that bit about the lens being useful I missed the fact it was a twin lens kit...
55-200 £80-£100 if you sell it separate from the camera...

Cheers for the valuation Hamish. Thats roughly what I had in mind and I think I could make up another £300 or so, maybe a tiny bit more.

1st question Ally............are the lens you have in good working order and of the same spec as the ones that come with the D5000 in that Jessops Deal you have linked to.

Daz

To be honest mate I thought that the newer Nikon cameras used a different AF system to what the D40 has but looking at this chart below I could use the 55-200 AF-S lens on the D5000 or D3100.

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

The nikon d40 was the first camera that could only use afs lenses

If you were interested in exploring using a wide range of nikon lenses you could think about a second hand d90 - £400 ish body only ... ? That would let you use af and af-d nikon lenses ...

i dont understand how Nikon lens's work, was just confused as you seemed to be selling a 55-200 vr to buy a 55-200 vr was thinking hang on a mo u could save some £££££ here lol

lol I probably should have done a bit more reading up on it before i posted really!

A D90 would be great and probably a much more worth while upgrade but it would leave me with out a short lens for a while until I saved for another, which could be a while with car tax and MOT coming up in the next couple months. I will have to see what I can do money wise!

Back