Tornado Damage

Beth Carter

national weather service confirmed what we already knew, an ef-1 tornado (max wind speeds around 110 mph) touched down and destroyed several houses. 5 were condemned today, more may be condemned in the coming days as a closer look is taken at foundations and structures.

the single wide trailer that was destroyed was lifted up 1/4 mile in the air by the tornado, spun like a helicopter blade, flipped upside down and dropped. the guy inside broke his leg last week and was laying on the couch inside the trailer when the tornado struck. other than his leg getting broken again, he escaped with relatively few injuries considering that he was buried under a mattress (from the other side of the trailer) and several other pieces of bedroom furniture. the trailer landed 60' from the pad it used to sit on. his wife was outside in a shed, the trailer debris came to rest against the shed, but protected the shed from further damage. she had minor injuries.

my grandparents are their immediate neighbors to the north. they were trapped outside during the tornado, but thankfully escaped uninjured. other than a bunch of massive trees going down in their yard there is minimal damage. my great aunt and uncle live across the street and ended up with a tree on their roof and a new skylight in their family room.

the remains of the single wide trailer. oddly enough, the truck that was parked 10' from the trailer was fine and barely moved.

the cleanup process at my great aunt and uncle's house. there's a 20' long wooden deck in the background that's stuck up at a 45 degree angle. it, and part of the driveway, was lifted from the ground by the tree roots underneath. the tree was already half way cut up and removed by the time i got this photo. the width of the tree trunk was around 4'. we spent most of the day clearing driveways so people can get out, if they have cars. my aunt and uncle lost one of their two vehicles to a tree that fell on the shed and car. the worst part is there's a log splitter and several chain saws in the shed and we can't get to it because there's a tree on top.

many, many trees are missing this morning. the lone tree in the center is the only one left at full height of a heavily wooded lot. it used to be dense with trees and all of them were about the same height as the one left. including the one that ended up on my aunt and uncle's house.

hopefully this is the end to a crazy week.

Wow Beth that is quite a story and record on events. Having been at sea in such winds it is scary, I'd not wish for either, but somehow to be among all the debris flying around must be much more scary. No control over events at all. (as if we ever do).
The sky in these pics look as calm as can be , what a contrast.

Wow!

The sheer power that did that much damage in such a short period of time is almost unimaginable

thanks everyone, the photos don't do it justice because you don't know what to compare it with beforehand. the last shot i posted would have had the sky completely obstructed by tree branches before the tornado.

there are more tornado photos here.

Wow, just a bit frightening. I thought the whole large objects being taken up in the air was just a movie thing.
all of the first responders said they've never seen anything like it. it's pretty unreal. the fire company has been bringing in fire cadets (teens) and crews from out of state just to look at the damage to the one trailer because they've never seen anything like it.

Wow Beth that is quite a story and record on events. Having been at sea in such winds it is scary, I'd not wish for either, but somehow to be among all the debris flying around must be much more scary. No control over events at all. (as if we ever do).
The sky in these pics look as calm as can be , what a contrast.
i'm not sure i'd want to do it at sea either. it was amazing how quickly things calmed down after the tornado. the whole storm lasted less than a half hour.

Blimey, impressive and scary. Glad everyone's OK.
everyone is fine, everything else can be replaced. the guy in the trailer who was injured is really lucky that he wasn't injured worse.

Dear Beth
This cannot be easy for you and your family. We are so lucky here that we don't experience this type of weather condition.
Stay safe.
be glad you don't get it. we might get a small tornado every year, but rarely any damage like this. definitely nothing like they get in the midwestern u.s. everyone in the family is doing well, thanks.

Wow!

The sheer power that did that much damage in such a short period of time is almost unimaginable
yea, no kidding. large pieces of debris (like an entire shed roof) was found several miles away.

I can only say I feel very sad when I read and see such autrocity taking place. But am glad no lives were lost. Take care and thank younfor sharing this with us Beth.

Back