Untitled

Mike Milton

rock: Breaking Through by mikemilton, on Flickr

Well, it actually does have a title but, perhaps it is better not to lead with that info.

I'd welcome discussion on this one. It it what I call a constructed image.

Interesting... It might benefit from some lighting effects. Thanks for the idea. I call it a constructed image because it is a composite. The main thing you see is a rock that is on our shoreline, but there is more.

tumblr_lmufh59SRj1qdn4hpo1_500.jpg

The image with a vignette and without the 'extras'

I like it very much. An unusual subject. I love the colours and contrast of textures, and the face is intriguing! Looks like a man resigned to his fate with infinite patience. Makes me wonder which of the gods trapped him there :) Did you see the face before or after you took the photo?

Cheers,

Kate

I like it very much. An unusual subject. I love the colours and contrast of textures, and the face is intriguing! Looks like a man resigned to his fate with infinite patience. Makes me wonder which of the gods trapped him there :) Did you see the face before or after you took the photo?

Cheers,

Kate

Exactly....

This rock has been sitting on my beach for as long as I've been here (40+years). I've bumped boats into it, tripped on it, tried to move it and then, one late fall day about 10 years ago, took a picture of it.

That rock captured, perfectly, an experience I was having at that time. I was breaking free from something that had held me fast for 30 years and there I was reflected in a darn rock that had been there all that time with me.

There are actually 2 faces in the image. The larger one, mine, and the smaller one, my son.

Ah, now I see your son too!

Perception is an endlessly fascinating thing. When I worked looking down a microscope for a living I learned that no matter how vigilant you thought you were being it was still possible to entirely miss something that you hadn’t been trained to see. We’re all good at looking but must learn how to see. Walking in the same countryside with a botanist, artist or hunter can change our view of it forever :)

I like the story of the rock very much. I had a similar experience in the past when I was fighting for breath, close to death from pneumonia, and it gave me the courage to break free of something that had been suffocating me for far too long. Things like that often seem to come just in time to save us, it seems, and the symbolism can be intriguing.

Cheers,

Kate

Back