Upload issues

I don’t know if this has any relevance and I’m certainly no expert, but the few uploads I’ve done so far only seem to have worked when I’ve kept the file size 1MB or smaller.

If anyone needs to know how to do this, then I produced a video tutorial for another forum site which will be useful to users of Flickr. Hopefully Pete and Hamish won't mind me posting it here. (They're both members of that forum too!)

If anyone needs to know how to do this, then I produced a video tutorial for another forum site which will be useful to users of Flickr. Hopefully Pete and Hamish won't mind me posting it here. (They're both members of that forum too!)

Pete, did I meet you via that forum?

Isn't 1MB really small for an image thought - Doesn't that reduce the quality, if its that small?
I don't have much experience with forums, but on discuss.pixls.us where I'm a member, while there is no hard limit, they do request everyone to keep things under 1MB -ish where possible. I think the thing is that there's a cost for storage in the servers, and most of the time images don't really need to be zoomed, so an image 2000 pixels or so wide, with a bit of jpg compression will work fine.
This is just my perspective - as a newbie!

@Adrian Button I think @Stevenson Gawen has probably hit the nail on the head with the file size limit for file storage. Any pics I've uploaded so far have been 1200px with low-ish compression but the slightly larger image size (2000px) at a slightly higher compression is another option. I'm definitely no expert and others will have more experience in these matters🤓

Another thought I’ve had which may or may not be relevant. Are uploaded files attached as they are or do they get “put through the mangle” like on social media sites? Presumably a smaller untouched image can, at normal viewing settings, look almost as good a bigger, ‘squished’ file? As I say, just a passing throught ☺️

Another thought I’ve had which may or may not be relevant. Are uploaded files attached as they are or do they get “put through the mangle” like on social media sites? Presumably a smaller untouched image can, at normal viewing settings, look almost as good a bigger, ‘squished’ file? As I say, just a passing throught ☺️

I'd assume (tend to try not to use the assume phrase), but I would guess that there is surely some form of compression no matter what?

Back