Urgent Spider Advice

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
You know I love all things, including the creepy-crawlies. However, I spotted a spider in our bedroom this morning. I've just taken a photograph (interesting wobbling about on the bed and without any macro facility) and identified it as a false widow. Now bearing in mind it is directly over our bed and if it wanders anywhere else it is likely to be played with by the kitten, what should I do? Wear gloves, capture it safely in a lidded box and release it where? There are no other properties within half a mile, so an evening walk in the woods maybe?

Lucky you Lesley. I've heard a few stories of false widows the last few days and I'd love to find one, but I don't think they've moved this far north yet.

Seems to be the current media target for a nice story this species. In truth they're not that dangerous.

Some info...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24636116

"Although a bite is very uncomfortable, it's no stronger than a wasp sting, says Mark Champion from the Wildlife Trust. There is also a greater chance of dying from a wasp or bee sting, he adds."

I know, but I do have a very bad reaction to midge bites. I currently have a nasty swelling on my arm from some bite or other. I was really bothered about the kitten. He carries flies around the house (totally unharmed) and when we had an invasion of large beetles, his favourite bedtime game was picking them up and dropping them on me as I slept. If he had been bitten in his mouth or throat, it could easily have killed him.

The photo isn't very good, but I'll put it up in here later :)

Found a tarantula staring at me when servicing the underside of my Land Rover once - man I hit my head hard getting out of there! :eek:

Back