Using a 40-400mm f4.5 Taylor Hobson lens

Stevenson Gawen

I'm thinking of putting together a little article for 35mmc about this one. It's a lens designed to be used on a black and white TV camera, on loan from my friend Bill.
I haven't done any real research yet, and don't have any dates, but Bill (who used to be a BBC, then ABC cameraman) assures me it was from the B&W era.
The lens is monstrously heavy - 8.5kg according to my bathroom scales. 😆

This example has (conveniently!) been fitted with a Nikon F mount, before Bill's ownership, and I think the whole cradle/tripod mount may be someone's custom construction. It doesn't match the rest in terms of finish in any case.

Performance on my 24mp full frame D750 is quite interesting - surprisingly sharp stopped down, with mild vignetting, but very low contrast (compared to a modern lens). There are slight traces of fungus in it - not sure if some of the haziness could be down to that or other contamination inside.
Bill tells me that these lenses were actually designed to have some aberrations, to compensate for certain camera deficiencies... I need to have another chat with him and take notes this time!
Focus is controlled with a knob on the side, and zoom appears to have been meant to be controlled by a missing part - so now you have to use fingers on the 'cog' inside an opening on the side.

I've increased contrast in post on the examples, and rather like the slightly hazy look that remains... but that might just be me!

Any thoughts/opinions more than welcome!;)
IMG_20230722_142208.smalljpg.jpg
IMG_20230722_142327_HDR-small.jpg
Selfie!

DSC_7895.jpg
Above is at 40mm, forgotten what aperture...🤔
DSC_7928.jpg

The above image is at around f10-11, as are most of these, but the one below is wide open, for comparison.
DSC_7930-1.jpgDSC_7939.jpg
These two, above and below, are at 400mm, ~f11
DSC_7970.jpg

DSC_7897.jpg

I love the look you're getting with this lens, Stevenson. The 3rd image (with the no parking sign) has a distinctly film-like look to my eyes. And the detail of the stucco in the stopped down version of the art deco windows really pops. I'm looking forward to seeing your results when you try some street photography with it. ;)

Oh I do like an interesting lens. And that is certainly an interesting lens. I too like the way it renders. The compression in the distant shots is very effective and the colour is just gorgeous.

I guess there was some form of follow focus on the lens originally. I wonder if the pitch of that gearing will match a modern one: you could probably mount a rail on that rear bracket.

Oh I do like an interesting lens. And that is certainly an interesting lens. I too like the way it renders. The compression in the distant shots is very effective and the colour is just gorgeous.

I guess there was some form of follow focus on the lens originally. I wonder if the pitch of that gearing will match a modern one: you could probably mount a rail on that rear bracket.

Rendering... that's the word I was missing! It's certainly got a 'something' to it in that department. Thanks for the link - I hadn't considered trying to actually chase parts for it (new or old). Not a bad idea...
Something I didn't mention in the OP is that something seems slightly amiss mechanically - as you zoom in, it looses the ability to infinity focus, but nudging the zoom back just a smidge brings it back, without changing the focal length - something must be loose I suppose.
I'm a little wary of doing too much zooming. Although, I'm sure it could be fixed by someone with the know how.

D750 look like a toy☺️
Yes, doesn't it? And that camera feels pretty chunky in the usual way!

Glad you like the results - I found it a very interesting excercise if nothing else. Thanks!

Yes, as you say, not an insubstantial chunk by normal standards and, I imagine, similar to my Canon 6D - certainly weight-wise. Though not quite the behemoth that your lens is, my Sigma 150-500 makes my 6D look fairly diminutive. I did once fit it to the little plastic-fantastic EOS 500 that I have (or should I say fitted the camera onto the lens?😏). I did look a tad ridiculous. No reason it shouldn’t yield first class results (except maybe for the potential slight focussing errors that the lens seems to have. These are easily corrected on the 6D (which remembers the different calibration settings for that lens each time I fit it on) but no such luxury on the little film body. Still, might be fun trying a few frames some time.

Back