VSCO FILM SIMULATION

As many I do use film, but sorry if it is not for you

I think there's another issue here, film photographers have no problems shooting digital and the software is quite intuitive if you already been processing and printing analog.

These filters cater for those who think film images look different. I've seen and probably may still have similar somewhere for Photoshop but in practice if the photographer knows what he/she is doing no-one can be sure whether it was shot with film orv digital.

Ian

I think there's another issue here, film photographers have no problems shooting digital and the software is quite intuitive if you already been processing and printing analog.

These filters cater for those who think film images look different. I've seen and probably may still have similar somewhere for Photoshop but in practice if the photographer knows what he/she is doing no-one can be sure whether it was shot with film orv digital.

Ian
Not sure what you mean Ian, I have shot film and had a dark room since some 40 odd years ago and know full well what film is and what digital is. I take a lot of film but but keep it analogue, except for the very odd one. I dont actually enjoy the process of taking a digital photo of a film negative via a scanner or however to release it of it's analogue beginnings. But all online work has to be digital.

As far as simulation and it appears you think some get confused, or cannot tell the difference. I can tell very easily from the same shots I take with film and whatever I simulate and digital.
I loved and remember well, the moment getting over the religious fever and longed for purity that many pursue within the fine art world and still exists in abundant quantities , that I do no for sure. It was only the other day I was dismissed as the devil for having possession of having a digital camera,Yet all of a sudden when the persons saw I had some sketch books and pencils, somehow I was in possession of acceptable materials, made me smile. I'll let others be so judgemental and move on.

I only posted the offer as it was something someone here may have wanted to try for free, as I had posted an image recently which was simulated, which got more praise than the one which was not. I had no intention to scare , confuse or corrupt, god forbid ;)

Julian, like you I shoot mainly film and prefer darkroom prints but I also shoot digital usually alongside but they rarely get printed. I can scan my negatives and my digital prints look very similar to the darkroom ones.

The point I was making is simple, that photographers who have had darkroom and enlarging experience tend to be able to get the best out of digital imaging quite easily. These filters presuppose that each film gives a different look and they can/will in some hands but with darkroom work much depends on the skill of the printer. Of course format is important a similar size print from a 35mm HP5 or Tri-X negative looks quite different to a print from a 5"x4" negative of the same films.

If you looked at my prints you'd find it extremely difficult to guess which images were shot on Delta or Fomapan 100, and Delta 400 or HP5, but then I don't shoot or 35mm very often. So it's a case of personal perspective.

Ian

Julian, like you I shoot mainly film and prefer darkroom prints but I also shoot digital usually alongside but they rarely get printed. I can scan my negatives and my digital prints look very similar to the darkroom ones.

The point I was making is simple, that photographers who have had darkroom and enlarging experience tend to be able to get the best out of digital imaging quite easily. These filters presuppose that each film gives a different look and they can/will in some hands but with darkroom work much depends on the skill of the printer. Of course format is important a similar size print from a 35mm HP5 or Tri-X negative looks quite different to a print from a 5"x4" negative of the same films.

If you looked at my prints you'd find it extremely difficult to guess which images were shot on Delta or Fomapan 100, and Delta 400 or HP5, but then I don't shoot or 35mm very often. So it's a case of personal perspective.

Ian
Yes I'd hope anyone who has worked in a dark room aught to move onto digital software without a problem. Yet it is not a requirement and to build a successful image, it is about knowing how where to put those values that create that illusion you wish to leave. Those values can be learnt as easily with a few pencils and sheets of paper as they can with anything else, more so than in a darkroom where you are actually limited by the the films preset or characteristic being used. The methodology is of course very different and much more complex with colour , where the values such as the hues are introduced alongside and are integral to tonal values and how individual colours not only alter their neighbouring colours but across an image as a whole, which again when using film, you start from a preset or characteristic of that film and usually have to work within the given boundaries the makers have chosen. Anyway I'd say there are many ways to skin a cat as the saying goes.
But I do find the subject and attempt to create marks on paper using whatever materials and having something worthwhile to say, exploring ideas and looking at the world afresh very interesting.

I have the full set of VSCO presets and others too and have to say really like them. That's once you get rid of that pesky grain they all seem to come with :D:p

Back