Went Out For A Drive

Paul Lange

With not much to do yesterday we went out for a drive around some of the local villages, some of which are quite picturesque. As a bit of an experiment I though I would upload some of the unsuccessful shot along with the ones I liked and explain about the choices in each shot. I just wondered if it would be interesting to talk about the thinking behind the shots as well. Hopefully others might do the same and I think it could be quite a good resource and source of interest to find out what goes through peoples minds while they are taking the shots and after during any PP.

This is an old run down forecourt in the middle of quite a long country road. It stands out as a small island of almost urban decay. It would have been nice to contrast this with its surroundings but there were some mock tudor houses and modern cars close by I thought they would have not worked in the shot.
DSCN0641.jpg

While interesting to look at I wasnt happy with the above shot so I tried another few with the chain in the foreground.
DSCN0644.jpg

Still not quite what I wanted so I went back to the original angle but with a bit of chain in. Black and white seemed to be best as the colours just distracted and done nothing for the composition. In the Nikon software you can get quite a good look by reducing the exposure, upping the contrast and shadow recovery tools.
DSCN0639.jpg

Finally I settled on this image with the focus on the chain and the forecourt slightly blurred. The background was a pain to contend with and I have realised that many shots I thought would work out dont because of the background. In the end I cropped most of it out.
DSCN0640.jpg

I tried a few close ups of the pumps but again I couldn't find an angle that would give me a clean background even when blurring it out.
DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

Further along I found this nice old car that caught my eye. However the old house it was next to was really run down in a way that wasn't attractive like when you get that decorative distressed look.
DSCN0635.jpg

Again the evil background was a problem. The car was close by to some piles of junk and a rather unattractive modern fence. The ground wasn't great either. I realised that these would have to be black and white as well.
DSCN0635.jpg

The pile of wood and the house in the background doesnt work.
DSCN0633.jpg

I tried cropping it a bit, better but not there really
DSCN0634.jpg

I changed angle and went for a tight crop as there wasnt anything in it that was worth looking at. Decided not to has a shallow depth of field as it didnt seem to work with this particular subject, there wasnt any particular detail on the car that was strong, it was really the whole car together that looked good.
DSCN0637.jpg

I would have gone mad for loads of narrow DOF stuff here Paul!
My thought process would have been to try and isolate some of the details...

The truck shots would have worked better with an overcast sky... Although I do like the First b&w one, bit I still would have stopes the background out of focus I think!

If I didn't know better, these could easily be scenes from the backroads here in the US. Nicely done. Enjoyed the play on DOF, as well.

I need to get a fast lens, which is another problem! Although these were taken with the P7000 which I haven't got to grips with fully yet I must admit. I did try a few shallow DOF shots but they didnt work with the truck for some reason. Maybe because it had no strong features such as shiny brass bits etc.

I don't mind the one with the pile of wood |It's kinda like a working shot.

Vic

Really like the B&W ones like this Paul

DSCN0633.jpg

Yeah, funny that, today in retrospect I quite like that one now and some of the others I wrote off don't look so bad. I haven't finished the PP yet I normally do the PP other anything from days to months, tweaking here or there and then leaving the shot alone for a while.

The P7000 as I said has some really wonderful things about it but they are almost negated by the dreadful firmware, spazmodic auto focus, sticking lens cover and the fact that the lens is not dust sealed. I already have a few specs on the inside.

What do people think about the idea of posting shots successful or not and writing a bit about them? Yeh, Ney, cant be arsed to type so much???

I think it's useful Paul. I was still trying to decide whether the Saxony images should be a series or individual shots when I posted but the feedback etc made my mind up. And the comments will affect the way I do the final processing. The feedback from the forum is really useful I find. And they don't always need text - after all they should really speak for themselves I guess.

I think it good to write a little about the shot or even how it came about. Much better then just posting a pic with no narrative.

Vic

I agree with Chris's choice of shot. I think the surrounding buildings and woodpile work fine, they give colour to the scene and aren't incongruous at all. Along with the foreground messy grass they give the aura of neglect to the photo.

The place was certainly neglected the house had a huge great wasps nest and hundreds of the things were flying around all over the place. Looked like there were actually people living inside!

I had a bit of a rethink and really I'm not a purist so I added a little lens blur to the background. I just kept increasing until I thought it started to look artificial.

DSCN0633a.jpg

Like it Paul :)

Cheers Guys, I've had a re-think with some of the other shots as well.

Cross Processed and a bit of lens blur on the background. I then highpass sharpened the front pump a little.
DSCN0646-1.jpg

Cropped a little from the bottom and a border added. I've been experimenting with borders and quite like using the splatter brushes and waggling them over an inversed marque used as a mask so only the edges of the image get painted. There is a slight random chance that you dont get all of the border so you end up with the border not quite fully blacked out.
DSCN0640-1.jpg

I've also been playing around with the depth of field with the P7000 and may have cracked it. Apart from the obvious ones like combinations of zooming in and getting closer to the subject I've realised the you can auto focus and then switch to manual and knock the focus back a little so that the subject is in the back end part of the depth of field. Luckily the camera doesn't reset the focus when you change to manual. The focus scale is fairly hopeless so it takes a few goes to crack it.

I like the CP one it really pops the photo

Vic

Back