What a day / minor new feature

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Hi all

Firstly, thank you to everyone who took the time to contact me to let me know of the forum issues as they started to happen!

sorry about the nonsense over the last 24hrs, in short, some software on our server was updated resulting in some incompatibility with the current version of vb4 (the software the forum uses). The fix was to upgrade the forum software, unfortunately I made a complete hash of it! This has resulted in me loosing my marbles very slowly over the course of today!

Anyway, it seems we are back up to speed now.

We also have the added advantage of a auto save feature in the post thread/reply box, should your types message be lost somehow, when you return to try again you will see a "restore saved message" button, click that and the bulk of your hard work should return ... pretty nifty stuff!

So yeah, as the temporary notice says...

We are back! ... What a day of it!! If anyone happens to spot any persistent and remaining gremlins, please let me know!

This is the thread to let me know of any gremlins you may find

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for getting it all back on track Hamish :)

No worries, a day lost to the mists of fury and frustration through basically school boy error ... ah well, you live and learn eh ;)

I had noticed the hiccup with the site, but to my guess you of been informed quite alot by many others, and as anticipated it would of been stressful bieng reminded constantly about what you were trying to reslolve. I had surreptitious faith in you Hamish. Lol. Well done dude!!

:) as i said, it actually wasnt a major ball ache.
But i managed to turn a 5 step process into a 25 step process by doing a bunch of stuff in the wrong order ...
at one stage I waited nearly 2 hours for a database to re-upload only to realise it was already there but i had renamed it ...
at another point in the day, the entire site had effectively, and unnecessarily been deleted ... thats why you always take a backup... if i hadnt that would have been it, no more RPF
honestly, you know when you have one of those days where you make mistake after mistake... today was one of those!

Did you find them? I hope they didn't roll too far away?

Your marbles that is.

Ill find them again in my dreams tonight Ralph... unfortunately for Hannah she now has to put up with a very scatty me for the evening,I have definitely used the bulk of my brain battery power for the day :)

Its enough to drive a man to drink. I'm exasperated just reading about what happened. I'll have a couple for you tonight when I get home, Hamish!

By the way, the "Unread posts" text at the top of the page is obscured by the "Real Photographers Forum" banner. (At least, it is on my screen.)

Good job Hamish and the forum even seems a touch snappier for some reason. The unread posts aren't obscured on either an XP machine running Firefox or a MacBook Pro running either Firefox or Safari for me here in the UK. I like the auto-save feature, that's going to save me endless grief when I forget I've not clicked remember me and and being a bit tardy with replies / posts.

I hope you have a relaxing evening and no nightmares tonight!

Back