What Film Rangefinder To Test The Waters Cheaply But Not Break The Bank?

Boooom!! Welcome to the 500g club!
As mentioned before, due to the state of my 500g I picked up from the flea market over a week ago now, the bloke practically threw it at me when he saw two shiny nuggets in my hand pleading to exchange for.... Light seals were like hot chewing gum, and the lens casing was as stable as a pyramid of cards on a windy day. I didn't think I could do anything with it all, but even for 2 quid it was worth a place on my shelf as it is a right sexy little looker.

Never the less, you've picked yourself up a bargain, I've seen a mint one on fleabay for 50 sheets with £10 postage.

You've got some brilliant advice from from Brian there, stick a roll through and test it's functionality first before splashing out on some light seals (which are cheap as chips anyway)
You can send it of or do it yourself.......
OR, you can send the 500G through the post to me with a pack of self adhesive 2/3mm thick open cell foam..... And I'll happily do it! :):)

I've literally just finished the first roll I've put through it and going to get it dev'd tomorrow..... so, if I've done it right or wrong, the truth be told tomorrow.

Good choice with the camera, I've enjoyed this little camera so far. Admittedly, I haven't got a battery for it yet to test the exposure meter, but I'm happy to use it fully manual.

One thing I have noticed is that the spilt screen focus is a bit difficult to master in low light conditions, but don't let that put you off. Besides, I'm going to dismantle it tonight because I'm sure that the 'mirrors' will need cleaning as it was MINGING when picked up. It looked almost like it was tied to the back of a 4x4 and dragged through the Sahara desert from east to west.... And that chap at the market was lucky he got something for it.
I stupidly didn't get any photos of in that condition as I couldn't wait to get it half decent before I started on it.

Thanks Dan, that's very kind of you. I blame you anyway for starting me on this path :D

Seriously though, thanks. I'm going to do as you suggest and get hold of it and run a cheapo film through it and work from there. I quite fancy a go at trying to restore it myself, although I do have 2 left hands, so that could be dangerous. I might have a scout around and see if I can find any good resources for restoring such items!

Nice one Dave!

I look forward to see how you get on. You will find that this will become very addictive over time..... :)

I've just picked up some batteries for it the beast, the closest thing I could get to match it is hearing aid batteries? What?! They are Boots 675za 1.4v hearing aid batteries. Hopefully they work and according to the manual they should last up to a year!!
I have 6 of them in a pack for £3.99. Bargain. If they work, I'll send you a couple as I'm sure I'm not going to use them all. Same goes with all, if anyone wants one FOC, I'll be happy to help.

This may help you too
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ricoh/ricoh_500-g/ricoh_500-g.pdf

Hey Dan, that's great of you thanks! I'll definitely take you up on the battery offer. I don't have an elderly Mother with hearing problems so no one to pinch those from :D

I rushed down from my office in the loft today all excited at the sound of the postie but he didn't have the camera... think I'm expecting a bit in fairness as the guy only posted it yesterday! :eek: Knowing our post office round here, I could be waiting a week! :rolleyes::confused:

The manual is an awesome find too... I did a bot of digging around last night, but didn't come up with anything that good! :cool:

FE3A8072-703E-4D04-96FB-CFE40FB9213B.jpeg

Boooom!! Welcome to the 500g club!
As mentioned before, due to the state of my 500g I picked up from the flea market over a week ago now, the bloke practically threw it at me when he saw two shiny nuggets in my hand pleading to exchange for.... Light seals were like hot chewing gum, and the lens casing was as stable as a pyramid of cards on a windy day. I didn't think I could do anything with it all, but even for 2 quid it was worth a place on my shelf as it is a right sexy little looker.

Never the less, you've picked yourself up a bargain, I've seen a mint one on fleabay for 50 sheets with £10 postage.

You've got some brilliant advice from from Brian there, stick a roll through and test it's functionality first before splashing out on some light seals (which are cheap as chips anyway)
You can send it of or do it yourself.......
OR, you can send the 500G through the post to me with a pack of self adhesive 2/3mm thick open cell foam..... And I'll happily do it! :):)

I've literally just finished the first roll I've put through it and going to get it dev'd tomorrow..... so, if I've done it right or wrong, the truth be told tomorrow.

Good choice with the camera, I've enjoyed this little camera so far. Admittedly, I haven't got a battery for it yet to test the exposure meter, but I'm happy to use it fully manual.

One thing I have noticed is that the spilt screen focus is a bit difficult to master in low light conditions, but don't let that put you off. Besides, I'm going to dismantle it tonight because I'm sure that the 'mirrors' will need cleaning as it was MINGING when picked up. It looked almost like it was tied to the back of a 4x4 and dragged through the Sahara desert from east to west.... And that chap at the market was lucky he got something for it.
I stupidly didn't get any photos of in that condition as I couldn't wait to get it half decent before I started on it.

Cool. I have the 500G rebranded as a Sears rig. Not a bad little camera.
D9610FBD-0760-4BE4-A35D-B2501CAD948C.jpeg 1FB023B2-CA50-444D-B863-07D609651131.jpeg

Back