Whats the best 'bang for your buck' lens you have found?

If I could shoot one lens in that focal range, without a shadow of doubt it would be the Sigma 35 f/1.4 A. It's sublime. We're talking medium format levels of details from that lens. One thing to think about though, is the Nikon flashgun AF assist lap throws the focus right off.

haha, I might have to give the siggy a go!
I tried to have a go with one at focus, but one of the sigma staff took it off me and handed it to some serious looking beardy ... That added at least six months to me even showing half interest in it!
It still surprises me that you dont get good results out of the 85, both 1.4 and 1.8 are incredible lenses ime!

My trouble with the 1.8 is a strange one - It's just too light weight. When I hold it in my left hand and grip it with my normal amount of force I can feel it being squeezed ever so slightly. I don't get the impression it's going to survive how I treat my lenses lol. If you look closely at the resolution charts for the 1.8 and the 1.4 lenses, in terms of ultimate resolution the 1.4 is slightly better - but it would be, being 3x the price!

The 85mm f/1.4 is indeed a very nice lens but I've never used the f/1.8 so I'm afraid I can't help with the comparison. The Zeiss 85 mm f/1.4 is also a superb lens and renders a different look. Thinking about I have a horrible feeling I promised Hamish I'd do a comparison (oops). It will have to wait until late October though as both are in Potsdam.

I really like the 1.4d it can be a pain to use, causing some horrible CAs but if your careful to avoid them it's brilliant ... And feels solid as a rock!

That would be good Pete! :)

Back