Where the surf meets the turf

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Revisited this favorite location today, but this time with the X-Pro1 instead of the X100.

Very different conditions, with high tide, and a marine layer coming in to cover the sun.

9a283988-c545-4b9c-b082-93c3a35b840c-l

X-Pro1 and 35mm Lens - RAF image converted in ACR and PP in Nik Silver FX

That's top dog chris, almost feel like I'm there. Excellent.

I bet it's reassuring knowing you can swap between the x100 and x pro1 anytime :p

I've just downloaded the trial version of Nik Silver FX. Your mastery of it, Chris, has pushed me to do this. I've linked it to Elements, and it seems very easy to use. Susan has asked me what I would like for my birthday in July, so both the silver and colour versions seem to be a good choice. Between Elements 10 and these Nik effects, I should be set. Not that I can ever imagine creating anything as beautiful as this image. The horizon doesn't bother me...

Very nice indeed mate!
Wonky horizon though ;)

Damn you Hamish! :D

Thought I'd got that in ACR - doh!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone - amazing what nature can do with a bit of cloud and sunshine :)

Rob, good choice for birthday, I like Silver FX a lot and have been contemplating the color version.

Let us know how you get on.

I don't want to interrupt the flow, but as you have been talking about the Nik products, I will say I have both Color and Silver Efex and I believe they are the best. I frequently make the most of a colour image, convert it in Silver Efex and then go back into Color to finish working with the light. I will say that I don't use about three quarters of the colour filters - they only seem to be there for way out effects or to pad out the software. I'm not into the presets in the other one either, but the control point technology is superb - not to mention the fact you can check your histogram within each filter :)

This photo makes me want to learn more about photography :)

That's a lovely shot for sure!

If it were mine I'd lose the top fifth :)

Back