Critique Welcomed Wildfire Smoke

Brian Moore

Last week a wildfire broke out in the hills above a community called Glendora. The fire came to be called the "Colby Fire." It was accidentally set by three fellows who had lit a campfire or something and the floating embers got away and ignited brush or whatever. Several homes were destroyed. The three chaps were apprehended and jailed.

Below is a picture of the smoke from the Colby Fire reflecting off the water of Anaheim Bay just south of Long Beach. I was on my way to work and stopped to snap the picture.

The fire was about 30 miles from where I stood.

Olympus XA and Kodak Ultramax 400 film.

Last edited:
Bang on brian like Rob I like the simplicity of the overall image yet it carries a powerful story

So subtle and beautiful Brian

I'd go 16:9 on it, but don't pay me any notice, I've had a glass or three of Pinot this evening :)

So subtle and beautiful Brian

I'd go 16:9 on it, but don't pay me any notice, I've had a glass or three of Pinot this evening :)
16:9,...? But that's not how it comes out of the camera, is it? ;)

I see your point. Might look nice that way.

By the way, 2nd time today you've remarked complimentarily on the image. I doubly thank you, Chris!

Very serine Brian. If you hadn't of mentioned the fire I would have never of guessed of the chaos happening in the distance.
Thanks, Paul. I saw some pictures yesterday that were taken from the west of Los Angeles. The view was looking east, past the high rise buildings of downtown. The images from that viewpoint were rather dramatic. I can see how in my picture the chaos seems quite calm. Thanks again, Paul.

Back