World Pinhole Day

Very cool. I found a Holga 0.25mm pinhole on Amazon that will fit my D7200. I haven't bought one yet, because I'm too busy to find time for it. One day soon.

That's an excellent pinhole shot, Pete, fine portrait too. I still have a pinhole camera, a posh one by Zero Image, the 2000, 6x6. Might give it a whirl.

Here's one from the last time I used it:

In fact, this might be a good time to remind me how to calculate exposure time for pinhole shots. I vaguely remember something about doubling the time, or something more refined than that!

I have to admit, it's been a few years since I last placed with pinhole unless that Fujifilm body-cap lens that has no aperture is considered pinhole, in-which I can brag that I have done pinhole work..

OK, I've got exposure sorted. On the back of the Zero Image pinhole camera is a wheel guide:

IMG_1007.JPG

So, I use my light meter to give the following:

IMG_1008.JPG

ASO: (say) 400
F-stop: 2.8
Time 0.15"

I set those last two figures on the wheel guide - as in the first image - then read the figure for f.138 - the manufacturer's figure. That gives an exposure time of 2 minutes.

And without moving the wheel guide, I could have choose any other f-stop/time value, and the result would always be 2 minutes.

Right, I'm ready! I also have a roll of Fuji Velvia. Do I have to wait until 24th to shoot stuff, or can I do it now, get it developed, then upload it on the 24th? I'm guessing the former - they want an overall pinhole interpretation of the world on that one day. Besides, I probably can't shoot a roll in the next couple of days, and get it processed and scanned within eight or so days. Ah well, I'll wait for the 24th.

I find pinholes in my pants some times, but I like that pinhole thing you did there Pete. It is not so much the pinhole, but more so the image.:cool:

Just a quick reminder that today is the day! I took 3 with a modified Speedgraphic use an old batch of New55 film (ISO 100 - 200). The camera was modified using a precision-made lens panel fitted with an aluminium aperture drilled to near atomic precision. There's a picture below of the camera in action and the modified panel. I'll know of Thursday if the carefully calculated times gave an optimal exposure.

Here's the camera and scene - some of you might recognise it!

Pinhole 2016-2.jpg

This shows the precision modification - Ok I admit it, it's actually a square cut from a paper plate, a bit of tinfoil with a hole poked though with a dressmaking needle, all held together with insulating tape. And I guessed the exposure based on a hole of about 0.5 mm!

Pinhole 2016-3.jpg

And this is what the Sony could see on the ground glass (it looked like the whole frame was covered though).

Pinhole 2016-1.jpg

Ha. You had me for a minute.

I've been out this morning with my Zero 2000, to the three bridges crossing the Forth river - the famous rail bridge, the road bridge, and a semi-constructed new road bridge. Beautiful day. Whether anything will come of it, I have no idea. It will take two or three weeks to get the results. I gave up on the readings I was getting - outlined in a post above - as it was telling be to expose for four hours (the film, not me!). For safety, I took some digital shots with the DP3Q.

Back