WTB 18 - 200mm or similar lens for Sony a230

Dave Kendrick

Hi,
Having just treat myself to a S/H a230 I'm looking for a more versatile lens than the standard one supplied. Anybody have anything more versatile to offer or recommend as long as it doesn't cost megabucks and takes a decent pic :cool: .
Dave.

Dave I have the Tamron 18-270 for my Canon 7D. I like it. It wasn't over-the-top price-wise, and I think it takes decent pictures. It has some vignetting when it at 270, but it doesn't bother me. Its a very flexible lens and with the crop sensor it provides real good reach. Its available in a sony mount.

Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD All-In-One Zoom (model B008)

You should be able to get a sony mount 18-200 tamron for next to nothing if have thought Dave!
petfectly acceptable photos from such a thing too

Brian, the 18 - 270mm Tamron lens is approaching US$600 in the UK, the older 18 - 200mm is much cheapewr at sround US$250, which is more in my price range :) .
Second hand 18 - 200mm are only about US$15 cheaper, based on a brief search today :( .
Cheers,
Dave.

Brian, the 18 - 270mm Tamron lens is approaching US$600 in the UK, the older 18 - 200mm is much cheapewr at sround US$250, which is more in my price range :) .
Second hand 18 - 200mm are only about US$15 cheaper, based on a brief search today :( .
Cheers,
Dave.
Sorry about that, Dave. (Wasn't sure what you intended by "megabucks".)

This might help a little A-mount lens database (lenses for Minolta and Sony DSLR cameras)

It seems you can use almost all old Minolta lenses on your Sony so you may be able to pick up a bargain used Minolta lens. I presume the Sony is crop sensor? Often even mediocre full frame lenses are excellent on crop sensors as only the central part of the lens is being used which is usually the sharpest part.

Back