3 New Lenses from Canon

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Canon has expanded its EF lens range with the addition of three new lenses – the EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM L-series standard zoom and the EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM and EF28mm f/2.8 IS USM lenses.

newsletter_header.jpg

The EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM replaces the EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM zoom (which was launched in 2002) in Canon’s L-series lens range and features a completely redesigned optical system to provide improved image quality, with a minimum focusing distance of 0.38m across the zoom range.

Both the EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM and EF28mm f/2.8 IS USM prime lenses feature a 4-stop Canon Image Stabilizer that will automatically detect panning and compensate accordingly. Combined with the fast maximum f/2.8 aperture, it allows the lenses to be used in low light without needing to raise the ISO setting on the camera. The IS system also aids focusing in low light by presenting a static image to the focusing sensors within EOS camera bodies.

Canon Professional Network - Canon reveals three new EF lenses

Frankly, the only one I could see buying is the 24-70mm, as I have the version I and it's my workhorse lens when not shooting architecture. I love it. But it would seem the new one doesn't include any of the features I was hoping to see, like IS, or fixed size that doesn't expand with focal length, like the 70-200mm f2.8. So I'll pass... especially at that price.

Yep - nothing there that would tempt me to invest - even though I'm using the even older 28-70 f2.8L (which is also a fabulous lens). The MTF chart on the new lens is amazing for a zoom though - beats a lot of primes!

IS on the ultra/wides seems OTT to me - but there you go...

Yeah, why put IS on a wide angle prime (which nobody was asking for), but NOT on the one lens everyone wants and has been demanding for years?!?

Darren makes a good point. Seems like I've never felt the need for IS on a wide angle lens. But it would have been nice on the 24-70. My main lens is my older 28-70 f2.8 L like Chris. When these new lenses were announced I thought about replacing it but that old lens still performs so well for me I think I'll wait.

I cant understand why neither nikon or canon have is/vr on their high end standard zooms ...
at very least, a is/vr version along side a slightly cheaper non is/vr version ... ???
the 16-35 f4 vr is loads more useful than i thought it would be on a wide lens ... so why not put it on a lens that trespasses into tele?
odd!

Back