A couple just before sunset

Len Philpot

It was cloudy all day, but the forecast rain never materialized at my location. Toward late afternoon it cleared just enough to make a nicely variegated sky but as sunset got closer it continued to clear (drat). At least all the clouds didn't totally burn off...

IMG_5809-IMG_5810_stack-social.jpg

IMG_5796-IMG_5800_pano-social.jpg

the wooden craft architecture
I really have to make a deliberate effort to get past the instinctive gut feeling I should be shooting landscapes, not manscapes. That is, to include no man-made things in the image, particularly as a major element. That's a personal thing, not a reflection on any one else. Yes, to my eyes old man-made elements can work in a secondary role landscape-wise, but we have virtually none of that over here in the "new world", particularly not in the deep south. And by "old" I include, e.g., dry stone walls, cottages, castles, etc., not just truly ancient cultural artifacts.

While in general I still prefer natural, sometimes a little artificial can work. :) Who knows... maybe that instinct comes from a life spent in an area where nature is generally mundane and any man-made dilution tends to have (even more) significant negative effect ...not much margin for error, so to speak.

But as it turned out, I ended up liking this image more than expected. The leading lines and graphical impact of the pier seems to integrate better than I thought it might.

Thanks!

I really have to make a deliberate effort to get past the instinctive gut feeling I should be shooting landscapes, not manscapes.
And yet this aspect of the photo above is what leads one's eye (I almost want to say merrily) first to the treeline and subsequently off the edge of the little piece of the Earth pictured. It's an excellent photo.

I really have to make a deliberate effort to get past the instinctive gut feeling I should be shooting landscapes, not manscapes. That is, to include no man-made things in the image, particularly as a major element. That's a personal thing, not a reflection on any one else. Yes, to my eyes old man-made elements can work in a secondary role landscape-wise, but we have virtually none of that over here in the "new world", particularly not in the deep south. And by "old" I include, e.g., dry stone walls, cottages, castles, etc., not just truly ancient cultural artifacts.

While in general I still prefer natural, sometimes a little artificial can work. :) Who knows... maybe that instinct comes from a life spent in an area where nature is generally mundane and any man-made dilution tends to have (even more) significant negative effect ...not much margin for error, so to speak.

But as it turned out, I ended up liking this image more than expected. The leading lines and graphical impact of the pier seems to integrate better than I thought it might.

Thanks!

I know that your ideal photograph does not contemplate the presence of the human element, but I am glad to see that the photo with the pier also pleases you. New possibilities on the horizon?

I know that your ideal photograph does not contemplate the presence of the human element, but I am glad to see that the photo with the pier also pleases you. New possibilities on the horizon?
Actually it's not that I necessarily want to avoid all human elements. Things like (as I mentioned) old stone buildings, dry stone walls, etc. seem to have environmental / landscape legitimacy. However we have none of that here. There's no sense of ancient, just old, discarded and disused. Things here are merely worn out, broken, rusty and decrepit. They have no authenticity of character, to my eye. So it's much rarer to find anything that "works".

But I'll keep looking! 😉

Thanks.

Back