Critique Welcomed a duck

Nice shot. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it's probably an eider. :rolleyes:

No comment....

But I am puzzled by the eider, John. I think it is what we call an eidereend (so an eider duck).... It looks like a kind of international name, which is quite rare for animals....

No comment....

But I am puzzled by the eider, John. I think it is what we call an eidereend (so an eider duck).... It looks like a kind of international name, which is quite rare for animals....
What little I can make out from the markings makes me think it is a common eider, which, as I'm sure you know, a pretty common sea duck. Hence the "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck" part of my comment. Even though eiders are sea ducks a few manage to make it to the Great Lakes occasionally. I've also observed them along the eastern seaboard of NA.

So, it's either a eider or a duck....
Both... and... You are a botanist so I'll put it this way. An eider is to duck as a tulip is to lily. That's not a perfect analogy, but close enough.

Better, but still far from perfect analogy. Eider is to duck as wheat is to grain crop. One last one. Eider is to duck as Saab is to car.

Grain? Crop? Sounds like old film days...:p
Did you know that ducks, unlike many other birds, do not have a crop? They do, however, eat crops, mainly grain. I'm not sure whether that means they should like 3200 ASA B&W film. :D

I certainly did not expect all the folks on the other side of the dam to go haywire on account of this title. Albeit the image, is entirely a different story:D We here in the old world have a more ambivalent and calm attitude to such an image:cool:, as we are accustomed to ducks.:)

Back