A few shots...

Rob Cole

This is just a sliver of shots that were taken some time ago as I've not been out 'photographing' lately (due to a multitude of reasons), but a nice picture lasts forever.

I'd like to hear what you think of them anyway, comments always welcome. Once I sort out a new broadband connection (I've just moved) I'll properly compile some shots and upload them for viewing. :)

Strand.jpg

PutneyRside2.jpg

MouthoftheTower.jpg

Funfair.jpg

RR04.jpg

Good stuff!
I keep meaning to get my self a carnival shot at worcesters xmas fair ... What's the thing that looks like a robot teddy bear in the fore ground?

I particularly like the London bridge one... How are you procesing the images, and what camera do you have?

What's the thing that looks like a robot teddy bear in the fore ground?
It's a sign in the shape of a chef advertising the candy floss stall on the left. There were some strange shadows which produced the odd effect. :)

I particularly like the London bridge one... How are you procesing the images, and what camera do you have?
Thanks mate, very kind words (it's Tower Bridge by the way ;) ).

I don't use much, if any, processing on my images, I simply take lots of shots with various settings and choose the best one (although the B&W one above is fiddled with). My camera is a six year old Sony DSC-F828 with its standard Zeiss lens (20-200mm, F2-F8). I keep toying with getting a new camera but I have to be honest and say that the Sony gives such good results I don't think a new one would offer me any advantage. As you know, a decent photographer can take an amazing shot with a compact camera, whilst a non-photographer can oft not take a good photo even if they use a high end camera. It's in the photographer's eye rather than the machine, as long as a camera and lens have a decent range of settings, that's more than enough. :)

When I bought the Sony it was reported to be a great camera for evening/night shots, that's what I wanted to take so that's the one I bought. The thumbwheel is a bit knackered now so getting the right shutter speed / aperture can take a while (whilst the graphics dance round and round on the display), but once it's set then it's a belter of a machine. My only gripe is that there is no 'bulb' setting and the longest shutter speed is 30 seconds, but if I'm honest it's never really caused a problem and with a low F-stop the lens gets loads of light in anyway. However, if it did have 'bulb' then I would go out and specifically do shots that would utilise it. :)

Last edited:
Tower bridge/London bridge same odds ... Does London bridge exist? Or did it really burn down? :)

I know the 828, I'm more familiar with the 717 though... Does the 828 have the night shot that green uv photos in the dark? And the "bendy lens" for want of a better description?
If you look at the 717 you can see the design ideas behind the latest nx series sonys...
I agree with the sentiment for sure, but ccd/CMOS sensors have come along leaps and bounds in the last 8 years (?) and some modern dslr's even as cheap as the nikon d5000, or even cameras like the little panasonic g1 are very good in low light.... That said, looking at the photos I had asumed you had a "modern dslr" .... So yeah, if your happy I wouldn't rush to replace it!

Tower bridge/London bridge same odds ... Does London bridge exist? Or did it really burn down?

LOL! Yes, London Bridge definitely exists. It's the next one down the river. The London bridges go (from west to east):

Hammersmith
Putney
Wandsworth
Battersea Rail
Battersea
Albert
Chelsea
Vauxhall
Lambeth
Westminster
Hungerford
Waterloo
Blackfriars
Millennium
Southwark
London
Tower

Debateably there's also Hampton Court bridge at the very west (which I can see from my driveway), but it's generally regarded to be half in London and half in Surrey.

I know the 828, I'm more familiar with the 717 though... Does the 828 have the night shot that green uv photos in the dark? And the "bendy lens" for want of a better description?
If you look at the 717 you can see the design ideas behind the latest nx series sonys...
Yes, it has night shot (which takes the photo using IR light) and night focussing (which focusses using the IR then triggers the flash). And yes, it has the "bendy" lens which is by far its handiest feature, particularly when taking shots inside vehicles (as in my eBay sale below) as it allows plenty of adjustment even when everything's set in place - like the tripod for example.

Maz6-Int-day-12.jpg

Maz6-Int-day-14.jpg

Maz6-Int-il-05.jpg

Maz6-Bose-04.jpg

Pretty smart! i do like it when people can actually be bothered to take half decent photos for ebay!

i took this for my broken oc9... only got £3.14 for it :)

_DSC1992.jpg

i might see if i can find a cheap 717 or 707 ... i fancy having a play with the night shot thing... is it any good?

It's ok, although not really useful for day to day photography. I guess if one is a private detective it'd be handy, especially as the focus is done without sending that grid of red light out - a bit of a giveaway if one is doing some 'private' photography. :)

I haven't, in fact I've hardly even tried it out. I might have taken a shot or two when I bought the camera, but it's not really my thing and it doesn't fulfil any uses for me.

i thought that might be the case...
there is a lot of people who do non visible light photography... but it never looks green

Back