A Happy One!

Ivar Dahl-Larsen

A hillbilly singer,.jpg
It’s funny, strange really when I have two extremely good cameras which I am very happy with. I even sold all my heavy stuff, considered very good by whoever rates themselves as professionals. Not to get burdened as much anymore. Not to be so obtrusive since street life is my foremost ground of photography with little people as well as larger ones.

My two Fuji x-e1 are quick, well, more quick than I am able to manually focus and they find the focus too. Especially after the last update on firmware and they are quite like the first camera I really loved and as a fool I am, sold. It gave me the assets to buy one of the first mentioned Fuji’s though so I guess it’s all right. I usually photograph by picking the aperture for the occasion, measure the light by adjusting either the shutter or leaving that one alone, using exposure compensation dial mostly instead and by that am able to see exactly what I get, after having focused where I wanted in a flick of a second. What more do I need? What else is there to desire? Was there another way we did it before? Not really, we had the autofocus, a quick way of setting the aperture on the lens and shutter on the shutter dial, and fired away. I find nothing wrong with them. I even packed them in holsters to sort of protect them from whatever and by that my small hands have a firm and relaxed grip on them.

So why am I drooling, snapping for air when I starry eyed read all this new camera can do as well as I see how it looks. I even read what’s coming out of it does not differ that much from my two beloved ones. Sure it follows people a little faster than mine. But I don’t stalk people. And if I do sport, I pre focus and wait to the right moment, just like before and it’s fun too. So why has there built up an envy in my body? I haven’t even touched that damn XT1. I can’t even compare and from what I see out there on my monitor, there is not any real difference. So why do I go on like that?

Is it greed? I must have the new thing. I can’t be left with old stuff. People are going to laugh at me.

I am not saying that whoever wants to buy the XT1 should not do it. Just don’t tell me. I want to lull myself into the belief that I can still manage my photography very well with what I have. And honestly, when I see people here shoot film with older cameras and come up with stunning pictures, then shut up Ivar and be content with what you have. You’ve been a happy chap so far. I even think my two X-E1 are happy. I treat them very well. Found several fine houses for them so they are even able to choose. Why then has this Fuji XT1 got such a grip on me? So now I am on the lookout for its snags, for all the right reasons to not get indebted and end up with a divorce from my love ones. Thank God it’s springtime again which possibly shall take whichever thoughts I have and turn them into other desires.

I have come of late to be very happy with what I have. I have on the way a new camera which came out a couple or more years ago, so nothing new, but tried and trusted. Having no lust at this time at all for the latest offering is a great feeling. I 'd also say if that seat is adequate support for the gentleman playing the guitar , my camera I have now is good enough for me :)

All sounds perfectly normal to me! :rolleyes:

Nice, quirky shot by the way. But, if you'd had the Xt1... ;)
Yes Pete, if I had the xt1, it still would have been just as quirky! By the way, I was on my way up the mountain of Mtn. Rainier but this guy stopped us 'cause the road had caved in and besides it was fairly greyish that day. I stopped as it was a lonely stretch out there and asked him whether the days are kind of lonely and if anybody stopped to talk to him. He answered that I was one of a few and he added, but when it gets too lonely I play a little and hum along. So I asked him politely if he would care to fetch his guitar from the boot and sing a song for us. He so did and we spent some time with him right there as well as taking his portrait. A Happy day for him and us.

Last edited:
I have come of late to be very happy with what I have. I have on the way a new camera which came out a couple or more years ago, so nothing new, but tried and trusted. Having no lust at this time at all for the latest offering is a great feeling. I 'd also say if that seat is adequate support for the gentleman playing the guitar , my camera I have now is good enough for me :)
It has taken me a long time to realise that new equipment do not neccesarily make me a better photographer Julian as daft as I some times am, and especially when I have very good equipment the way I see it. " But it's all right to look, lust, but not touch " I guess. Cheers all!

Back