A Worcester Action for Youth (WAY) Workshop

Kev Pugh

OK, Now I have set up a blog for WAY workshops but I have a few things to check out before I can start posting, but today I attended the opening of a new youth centre in Worcester and I was running a photography workshop for the young people. Now these events are normally quite chaotic and there is little structure to groups, mostly, large numbers of people will mill around looking at the new build and want to see what is on offer for the youngsters.

Today was no exception, so, I decided that as there would be local councillors and other Digs there officially opening the centre it might be a good idea to have an official youth photographer in attendance so that's what I did. I enlisted a youngster to take on the role.

Now some of you may find this hard to believe but there are young people out there who have never used a camera other than their phone that is, well this young girl was one of those that hadn't, she doesn't own one, not even a cheap compact so this was a big thing for her. Not only was she doing it for the first time but she was 'official' and would be photographing the cutting of the ribbon.

After a short briefing, 2 minutes on what to look through, what to press and how to hold it she was off with me behind acting as assistant, "Oi make room please we need to get through to the mayor, thank you"

For ease I had set the D80 to auto ISO, Dynamic Focus, and set to P mode, also normal jpeg as I knew that it would be easier for a quick download later of what would probably be a lot of shots.

After a short while her confidence grew and she was beginning to explore shooting angles and wanting to catch movement and not just stale old people with moody gold round their necks and wearing suits from M&S, that is one thing youngsters don't do well. Anyway, I digress, This is just one of nearly 300 shot she took in a little under 3 hours.

DSC_0275.jpg

Bearing in mind this was her first attempt I reckon she came away with something, an experience she had never had before, an opportunity she had never been given before and fun. believe me she enjoyed playing photographer today, and for a 15 year old to stand side by side with the newspaper photographer, its a big thing believe me.

So there we have it.

Yea I get a buzz out of it, I enjoy seeing these kids get an opportunity, and this is one of the things WAY does.

Thanks for reading.

Kev

Nice one Kev!It often occurs to me that people without any of the rules about photography hammered into them have a great chance to produce good images... the creative side of the Brain is left to work without the other side of the brain trying to tell the creative side what to do!What a brilliant shot she has captured! Looking forward to seeing the blog! Anything we can do to help promote it we will!

What can I say! Great stuff and I suspect somewhat more dynamic than the local paper published! I'm glad that, in a small way, that RPF through Hamish and, of course, yourself is involved with this group. Looking forward to the blog and some more from the official photographer.

Thanks Hamish and Pete One of the things I like is that the youngsters don't want to know the rules, the only Rule I do try to get them to follow is look first and take the shot how you want it, this may not go down too well with the society critics and some traditionalists but this is all about getting young people to experience photography to explore their creativity, I had one young lad a couple of weeks back say to me and a youth leader "I don't really like taking photos, it doesn't do anything", after 10 mins he openly said "this is great when can we do it again?" Now if that doesn't get you enthused well what can I say?
DSC_0024.jpg
This is what he took, it may not seem like much but it's part of an alternative portrait for the other members of the club to identify, Worcester guys any ideas??

This is really good stuff, kids need to be taken away from all that technology today and taught how to be creative or rather let lose to be creative, there are to many restrictions on them today. Good work guys!

Vic

No idea what it is Kev ... Spill!

It is a good cause, especially after the events of the summer ... Ita this sort of thing that will help prevent that sort of thing from happening again!

DSC_0025.jpg

This was the last one taken by the youngster, he and the others in the groups knew the area, so I'll give you a final clue. Barbourne. It is relatively new but represents something old........a memorial of some sort maybe???

Thanks Pete, Hamish you are in the right place, how about the 'new' War memorial, you know the one that caused all the news about 'is it what we should have' that was in the Worcester News? I think that it is actually a nice piece of metal and now has texture and shape and I will be doing my own thing there in time..

... I must go down and have a look, I remember the who-har, but havent had a look yet, we take the dogs down pitchcroft, so next time we are that way we will go a little further!

Hamish do, it's actually a nice place again, try to pop into the pump house for a coffee too. I walk down there too on occasions but my old mutt can't do so much nowadays....

Poor thing... What sort of dog is it? If you go down pitchcroft ever? And see any whippets (or at least whippets that look a bit stubby nosed) they are probably my dogs off spring... There are a couple who get walked down there!
We have a whippet and a whippet x lab (hence the stubby nosed whippets). Murphy, our whippet is a right handful ... Just lax training really, lovely thing at heart, just a little excitable!

My sister in law (to be) was down ghulevelt yesterday, she said she went to the pump house and that its nice, apparently there are also some exercise machines down there? I didn't believe her, but she seemed set on it??

I have a 14 Year Old Rough Collie called Boo shortened from Barnee Boo, Get down there sometimes when I'm over that way. The Pump House does indeed have 'exercise' machines, some run radios and stuff, they do a good coffee too, and only just at the end of the racecourse, an interesting building to photo too. I did a workshop down there a few months back.

This evening I saw the young 'official' photographer, took her and the youth club a CD of all her shots from Saturday, she was so excited and when I told her of your comments, that was it... to see her face, her excitement was really good, it really does mean a lot to these youngsters to know that; actually, THEY CAN DO stuff, even the kids she had taken were excited and even those she hadn't were too. Just thought you would like to share that......thanks guys, I will hopefully get the blog up and running once I've sorted the legals out..........kids, youth clubs, internet etc... you know the drill. Kev

Nice one Kev!
Would she be interested in joining our little club here? That would be really great ...
Would it be appropriate to try and raise cash to buy the most promising kid some sort of camera ... Or would that not be a good idea ... ???
I was going to talk to you about it at some point if I came to the way office ... Are you there tomorrow?
I'm not sure I will make it down, I have a lot on, but it might be doable...

Not sure about the camera, but I have an idea..............I will be in the office tomorrow from 12ish until 2ish........I love ish.......I know you have plenty on so not a problem if you can't make it. Text whatever you decide.

Now I believe it is youth week in November, and I have been asked if I could do a 'where I live' workshop, I had the idea a little while ago and put it to one of the youth leaders, I was hoping to get the kids to photograph their areas, what was important to them using mobile phones or what ever, no rules no brief other than it must be from the area where they live, then to have an exhibition and get someone to judge it. and the winner gets a.......

Now this is just a thought at the moment, but one I want to pursue......let me have think on it when my head is less tired and less subjected to the amber nectar........

Chat soon

I'll do my best, I can't see it being a major problem, it's in the diary to come up...
A bit cheeky... But would you be able to give me a lift back to my office after so Greg doesn't have to wait around?
We could maybe take the opportunity to pop into the studio...?

Back