Abstraction Distraction

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I came to shoot the Henry Moore sculpture in the gardens of the modern art gallery in Edinburgh, just ten minutes walk from here, and was distracted by two beautiful girls. They saw me, and I asked if they minded if I took a shot. The one on the right said, "Is that a Rollei?", so I knew we were off to a good start. She seemed a little disappointed when I said it was a Mamiya (C330S), but said, "Go on then", and proceeded to ignore me. Perfect.

Originally shot with Kodak Portra 400, but it came out all dark green. There was a lot of greenery around, but everything turned green. I tried playing with it in pShop, but eventually gave up and opened up Nik Silver. I quite like it now. It was a VERY hot day...and I think the b&w treatment shows that more than the green version did.

- - - Updated - - -

It's moments like this where I wish I had a card to hand to the 'models' with a my flickr address, and say to them: It might be there in a week or two IF it turns out and has any worth - as maybe they would like to see it. Anyone here do such a thing?

Well done for asking Rob and you were rewarding with a stunning image. As you say, it radiates the impression of a hot summer day and the composition brings to mind those BBC plays about the end of adolescence. One can almost hear the conversation. Brilliant stuff.

I have been meaning to have some cards printed for Babelsberg Studios for ages. There is a client login option and I want to have a place on the reverse of the card for a user name and password on the back so I can use the date to allow people to see any images like this that are taken.

Cheers, Pete. I'm trying to make a connection between the sculpture and the girls - it was on my mind at the time - but I'm struggling to articulate it, other than a meditation on the female form. The sculpture in two parts, two girls...something going on there, but I'm not sure what!

I guess there is the obvious reclining sitting comparison. But I sort of get an impression that the statues are watching. It enhances the slightly voyeuristic (in the way of a scene from a play) feel of the image. I like the slight tension that it has and it makes one wonder what is going on.

Yes, you are right, the statues do look like they are watching! And it also looks like I might be hiding behind a bush. Far from it! But it does indeed add a frisson of tension. End of innocence...

Although I haven't seen the color one I definitely prefer the B&W. Very fine shot, Rob!

I've often thought I need to let people know how to see foties if took their picture. Just haven't got round to doing it. (But every time an opportunity presents I say to myself, "why haven't I done that yet!"

Four go reading in the Park perhaps?

Love the B&W treatment - it does represent a hot day really well

I had some cards printed up with my name, cellphone, Email and website address - and a nice picture of a camera on the other side. I keep them in my camera bag just in case.

Back