Agfa APX 25

Julian Tanase

Agfa APX 25 was my choice of slow film to go to when I shot 8x11 photographs with Minox cameras. Obviously, there were other films (Techpan, Spur, etc) which offered fine grain and good tones, but, I don't know, the APX 25 was the one most suitable for my Minox shots. Good memories.

Here, a shot of the main square in a town called Bruck an Der Mur, in Steyer, Austria, with a Minox IIIs. Processed in Studional, scanned negative.

12798725303_22703323cc_o.jpg

What an intriguing sculpture. Are the two girls discussing the handsome bookish fellow, or are they snogging each other in an attempt to shock him out of his Biblical studies? Are they famous people in that part of the world? Questions, questions: often a sign of a good image. As for the camera/film combo, it all looks fine to me!

Questions indeed, which may get answers, if they're asked that is :)

The statues are actually a couple of ladies, and separate, the gentleman reading his newspaper; they're located in the middle of Koloman-Wallisch-Platz, Bruck an der Mur. Both (or rather all three of them statues) are the work of Martin Karlik (Wien), Austrian physician and sculptor from St. Marein.

Quoting the city hall own description of these: "Two sculptures: 'Stadtgespräch' two women talking to each other (2006) and 'Stadtnachrichten' a man sitting on a bench and reading a newspaper (2007).

Great photo, Julian.
The more so because it triggered a few memories for me. You see, my mother was Austrian, from a small town in Steiermark. Bruck an der Mur is one of the places she used to mention. I haven't been there for about fifty years so it's interesting to see what it looks like now. I always remember those town squares as places where the wonderful old yellow post buses used to pull up. I suppose they are all pedestrian friendly now.

Back