Anyone know of a wider camera?

David Mitchell

Just found this whilst searching around, its a Fuji 617, so i'm guessing its a 6x17 negative, I know you can get a lomo camera that is a 6x12. Just wondering if anyone knew of this camera, looks epic lol

Fuji GX617 review - Photography Blog of Adam Monk Photography Blog of Adam Monk

canon5d-vs-fuji-617.jpg

Those are just copies of the Fuji, I can't really afford the £1000 price tag for it though, probably cheaper to just make your own lol check out the size of that film advance lever! :D I think my Sputnik shoots 6 pairs of images so its almost as bad lol

LOL looks like the stretch limo version of my Fuji GSW690II :D

8058327743_f6e6942f67_b.jpg

I shot 8 frames on some Fuji 50ASA Velvia this weekend - to get me my film fix :)

i've been lusting after a fuji 617 for a long time .... there is a digital version, a Seitz 617 and it is HUUUUGE also it cost £32,000

i've been lusting after a fuji 617 for a long time .... there is a digital version, a Seitz 617 and it is HUUUUGE also it cost £32,000

Still won't be as good resolution wise though lol I might get myself one of those wide 35mm cameras like a widelux 140 or something. I'm getting into landscapes, but I guess I do have a large format camera as well lol

Still won't be as good resolution wise though lol I might get myself one of those wide 35mm cameras like a widelux 140 or something. I'm getting into landscapes, but I guess I do have a large format camera as well lol

not sure about the resolution, the file size for a seitz picture is 1.5Gb

Still won't be as good resolution wise though

assuming the lens on any of the 617 film cameras is capable of resolving enough detail for the film it's self to resolve more than the digital 617. And assuming the choice of film is right ... and that the user of the camera is good enough.

Medium-format wide-angle cameras have been around a very long time. I had a workhorse built sometime between 1959 and 1965, a Brooks Veriwide 100. It had a 47mm SuperAngulon over a 6×10 format. Seven shots on a 120 roll. The design used by Linhof, Horseman, Alpa, Fuji and probably more were pretty much identical in concept. A built-in lens over the widest film-gate it could cover. Focus was by guess and by gosh, and the viewfinder gave a suggestion of what you were getting in the image. While I mostly worked off tripod, they were quite easy to hand-hold. The view was about the same as an 18mm on a full-frame camera and the 6×10 format was very pleasantly proportioned—very close to the golden mean.

Brooks-VeriWide100.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Larry I will keep my eyes peeled for a decent MF wide camera at some point, I guess as its MF rather than a smaller format the wider angle lenses aren't as hard to make due to the distance from the negative. I think I will probably add a wide angle MF camera to my collection soon, perhaps after I get my own development tanks though as i'm not sure of many places that would be ok with a 6x10 negative lol.

Thanks Larry I will keep my eyes peeled for a decent MF wide camera at some point, I guess as its MF rather than a smaller format the wider angle lenses aren't as hard to make due to the distance from the negative.

No mirror box, so the lens could penetrate deep into the camera. Also an f/8.0 so quite compact.

I think I will probably add a wide angle MF camera to my collection soon, perhaps after I get my own development tanks though as i'm not sure of many places that would be ok with a 6x10 negative lol.

Medium format cameras came in a whole bunch of flavors. At the small end, there was 4.5×6, then 6×6, very popular 6×7, Fuji built a top end reflex that was 6×8, everyone built 6×9, the Brooks was the only one I knew of that was 6×10, Linhof and others built 6×12, Fuji and some Chinese companies built the 6×17, and I heard a Chinese company was selling a 6×24 on eBay. I never checked it out.

I used a Bessler 23C enlarger, and had one of the standard 6×9 holders expanded a centimeter at a machine shop. Flatness was a bit of a problem, so I purchased two sheets of pure white optical glass and with a bit of tape and black paper, made a glass carrier that worked great. Now, of course I would scan.

Carrier.jpg

Im getting tempted by a KMZ FT2 35mm camera:

1.jpg

It shoots a 24x110mm frame lol

Dorset-Coast-2.jpg

Not the cheapest camera but im really tempted to get one as I like uncommon/unusual cameras :)

Ive just read the instructions on how to load it lol you basically have to unload a normal 35mm film canister into its spools and load that, so i'm thinking of getting something else lol if that took the standard 135 canister directly in like other cameras then I probably would.

I think I might just get myself a wider SLR lens and see what that is like, that camera I think is still has a 50mm lens it just rotates and exposes more of the film each shot.

Wideluxe1.jpg

A much more practical camera, with one of the quickest returns on investment I ever bought. It seemed I had the only one in Dallas, Texas, and I was the go-to shooter whenever a two page panorama spread was sought by an editor.

Fact is that it was very expensive and compared to today, very crude. Non-interchangeable but excellent 28mm lens. Three shutter speeds only. One was able to live within these parameters, and loads of photographs saw publication. It was the best there was back then and brought in a great deal of business.

Compared to my X100 and X-Pro1, it is a stone axe. The early years of digital photography spawned a variety of intensely user-hostile photography allowing one to stitch overlapping exposures into whatever resolution you desired. It was so user-hostile that any image displayed was praised to the rooftops. Even if it was terminally boring, the fact that you did it was enough to generate worshipful praise. There are panoramic digital cameras but at astonishing prices—check out the Panoscan and RoundShot.

The X100 with its 35mm equivalent lens shoots gorgeous panoramics, and stitches them in-camera. All shutter speeds and apertures are available, along with fully contemporary range of sensitivities. The X-Pro1 lets me use all my lenses. With the 18mm I have the exact equivalent of the WideLuxe in a vastly more flexible camera. One can shoot 120° and 180° sweeps with the camera in either horizontal or vertical position, providing a total of four final formats. Its 28mm equivalent emphasizes vastness, while the 60mm compresses perspective allowing one to pick an actual subject rather than making the whole panoramic a subject. I would have killed for this capability with the WideLuxe.

If you are just a collector, buy whatever turns you on. There are some very crude USSR panoramics and some very expensive but limited German cameras. Fine, if they never leave the shelf, or you are happy to put up with second-rate cameras because they are relatively cheap and you can rationalize horrible quality on the basis of price. My WideLuxe was very expensive, very limited and delivered an excellent image under ideal conditions. It has been many long years since it has made an exposure.

The Panoscan and RoundShot are the specialty digital panoramic cameras. Don't check them out if you have a cardiac problem. BetterLight also had a camera rotater that worked with their scanning back. Still large numbers of coins. With my Fuji X cameras, I have what I want in most cases. If not, software has become a lot more friendly and stitching is no longer just for the rare technical expert.
60mm—120°
Zoom.it

X100—180°
Zoom.it

18mm—180°
Zoom.it

I would have killed for this level of quality and versatility, and paid almost any price, because the assignments it would generate would have made me rich. Stone axes vs smart bombs.

Thanks for everyone's input on this, I guess I could tripod a normal 35mm camera and then stitch digitally, that Holga 120 pan is interesting, they also have a Belair 6x12 camera in the lomography shop but that's £300 lol I will have a think about what I want to go with, might just be easier to just get a 28mm lens for a normal 35mm film SLR as thats the 'normal' way of doing it lol I was just looking into how I can get a wide shot but not much cash.

I guess I could also get a 120 roll film back to my Speed graphic camera - will see if I can get a 'wide 120' back rather than a square format or a 6x9 etc.

Edit - yes you can get a 6x12 roll film back, no im not paying that price lol

I have found something in the lomo shop though, a sprocket rocket camera, shoots 35mm very wide and even exposes the sprockets for exposure (much like the 35mm adapter for the holga) Its not too expensive, will look into it although will still check out the vintage wide view cameras as well.

http://uk.shop.lomography.com/cameras/panoramic-cameras/sprocket-rocket

Last edited:
Back