Critique Welcomed Atrium, Marriott Marquis, Atlanta

Brian Moore

Looking upward I managed to get this interesting (I think) view of the atrium in the hotel.

Olympus OM2n. Can't remember offhand what film.

Interesting, certainly, but I’m not sure I like the architecture. The lines of the different objects do not flow into each other; there appears to be tension, as if they are meant to fit together, but somehow don’t manage to do so. Or maybe the tension is mine alone, not wishing to be there, in the scene. I’m going to have to lie down now…:eek::D

Interesting, certainly, but I’m not sure I like the architecture. The lines of the different objects do not flow into each other; there appears to be tension, as if they are meant to fit together, but somehow don’t manage to do so. Or maybe the tension is mine alone, not wishing to be there, in the scene. I’m going to have to lie down now…:eek::D
What an interesting reaction, Rob. Thank you.

There is a certain tension to it I agree, but that's what I like about it. And despite all the detail there is something quite simple about the whole design in a way.
Thanks a lot, Pete. I never thought about the "tension" in the picture until Rob mentioned it and now you have too. I sense it now. (Before it was just about colors and curves for me. But I now like that it invokes tension.)

That is a fine image, I like it. Fascinating architecture. Judging from the number of images on Google, the atrium is a very popular subject for photographers. From some angles the floors look like a ribcage, most strange.

That is a fine image, I like it. Fascinating architecture. Judging from the number of images on Google, the atrium is a very popular subject for photographers. From some angles the floors look like a ribcage, most strange.
Thanks Dave. After thinking about Rob's comments I Googled it too and I was surprised that there were so many different "takes" on this atrium. And some magnificent ones at that. (I saw it somewhat by accident; I was taking a walk in the city and decided on a shortcut through the hotel lobby to the other side of the block. That's when I "discovered" the atrium. Glad I did.)

Back