Bach On The Banza!

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
The banza is a banjo made out of a dried-out gourd, and was created by black slaves in Southern US plantations in the 18th century, possibly earlier. This one was made for me by Jason Smith of Mississippi. It's beautiful, but the gourd cannot be seen in the video, but can be seen on his site: http://jaybirdbanjo.com

Here's a celebrated painting of one being used on a plantation:

Slave_dance_to_banjo,_1780s
by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

The thought of playing some of the most exalted of Western solo instrumental music on a slave's instrument, was too much for me to resist!

Brilliant! - swmbo does a whole load of craft things with gourds - just showed her your banjo and she's saying it looks 'challenging' :D :D

Didn't know the history - fascinating stuff

God you're talented Rob - I was watching your fingers flying around with a mind of their own

That was wonderful Rob (went very well with my egg on toast!). Quite a contrast to the more usual use for a banjo as shown on his site.

I've just had egg on toast for dinner! This was truly wonderful Rob. I love Bach anyway and it's made a perfect end to the day. I expect to sleep well tonight :)

Thanks very much, Leslie. That is such a nice comment. Wish I could have a good night's sleep. Five hours is usual, six maximum...been that way for 16 years (curiously the same age as Rhona...)

Back