Art Meripol

I thought I'd post another old shoot from my concert days, days when I had hair and could stay up late. This was in December 1984 in Memphis Tennessee on Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band's Born in the USA tour. I was the only accredited photographer there that night. Back in those days, pre digital and iPhones, I almost never saw another photographer. The record company controls were tight.

Most shows I took two FM2 bodies and a wide and a short tele to cover the stage. I was limited to the first three songs which was a standard rule. I never did get an official reason for that but I could assume they either didn't want photos that captured the artists all sweated-out or they just thought if you couldn't get something in the first three songs then you probably didn't belong out there.

Generally the first three thing limited me to shooting rewinding and reloading three to five rolls of Tri-X or occasionally some Ektachrome. This show was so exciting, so vividly visual that I managed to shoot 11 rolls. Bruce on stage was so active that there was never a moment that didn't give me something new.

Staging back then was not like today. These days the staging is spectacular and a big part of the show. back then it was some colored gels and a spotlight for the featured artist. Once you dialed in the exposure for the spotlight it was pretty easy to shoot. With Tri-X that was usually about 250 @ 2.8 at 400 ISO.

Hope you enjoy these.

2023-06-05-0027.jpgImg067.jpg

Bruce FIst.jpg BruceBigManAdj.jpgImg070-Edit.jpg2023-06-05-0018.jpg

Great stuff Art! Love them.
Funnily enough we were listening to The Seeger Sessions CD only the other night. Perhaps it's me getting old but my musical taste is getting very eclectic and I think it's wonderful how lots of people are reverting to their roots, be it jazz, folk or blues.

Never saw Bruce live (despite being a Jersey boy myself).

Great stuff Art! Love them.
Funnily enough we were listening to The Seeger Sessions CD only the other night. Perhaps it's me getting old but my musical taste is getting very eclectic and I think it's wonderful how lots of people are reverting to their roots, be it jazz, folk or blues.
I am such a music fan and my tastes are wide ranging. So many of the great older acts are still making new music but it's hard to find sometimes.

Back