Brownie Hawkeye Flash Model: Babe Magnate

Brian Moore

Well, Babe Magnate is a bit of an exaggeration, but suffice to say my Brownie Hawkeye Flash Model garnered some attention from a few people at the Orange County Fair on Sunday. I had only just alighted on the fairgrounds when I became conscious of two lassies walking past me and one of them was fairly oggling my Brownie.

"Its an old camera" I said. She replied "I know and its cool!" A word or two followed about the type of film and where you look to compose a picture and so on. Then I asked if they'd like their fotie taken. (Well, technically I didn't use the word fotie, as that would have caused confusion to be sure,...but you know what I mean.)

So here is the fotie of the two lassies taken after their giggling had subsided. The lassie on the left is the one with the interest in my Brownie.

(Kodak Ektar 100 was the film.)

Last edited:
"oggling my Brownie" - is that what they call it in Orange County! :D :D :D

Brilliant stuff Brian - props for getting the old boy out and giving it an airing in public - and for attracting such adoration :)

And it actually worked!

Well, I couldn't come up with a better descriptor when I was composing the post, Chris. ;)

The sun was very high in the sky--it was about 1 pm--but I wish I had had the presence of mind to turn them such that they got the light more in their faces. I guess I was just so excited that all reason evaporated.

I had forgotten--or perhaps hadn't realized until this outing--how little movement the Brownie tolerates. I guess its about 1/40th shutter speed.

*attention hipster alert* lol

Yeah the brownie shoots at around 1/40s when new, this might be a bit slower now though.

I'm impressed with the Brownie. In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen colour shots from a Brownie before. Nice one, Brian.

PS Did you mean magnate or magnet? Big difference to the interpretation of this shot!

Yeah the brownie shoots at around 1/40s when new, this might be a bit slower now though.

I didn't consider that. Yes, I suppose it's possible the shutter has somehow slowed down in the year or so since I last shot with that particular Brownie.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm impressed with the Brownie. In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen colour shots from a Brownie before. Nice one, Brian.

PS Did you mean magnate or magnet? Big difference to the interpretation of this shot!

Thanks, Rob. Definitely magnet, though.

- - - Updated - - -

What a positively charming shot Brian. Nice smiles and casual poses. What more could you want? And I really like the colours ad the, what looks to be, slight movement in the tree. Nice. :)

Much obliged, Pete. Thank you.

and if you indeed had a bulb in the reflector, the fill could have been interesting, no?

and if you indeed had a bulb in the reflector, the fill could have been interesting, no?

You're absolutely correct, Peter. Some fill light would have been useful. But I suffer from some kind of genetic aversion to flash. I should have turned them into the sun. Next year maybe! ;)

Back