BT infinity - optical broadband - your experience?

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
BT infinity has just arived in my area so understandably I have signed up as soon as I got a phone call from them offering me a good deal for signing up ...
They have promised me 55 down 18 up ... Seems optimistic to me!
What's your experience?
How good are the router and modem etc ... My current router is pants so I am hoping this will sort is out!

I have it. I get 18 down, 6 up. Don't believe the hype. The technician told me the 55/18 figure goes as far as the local station, but from there to your house it drops considerably.

Divide their claims by five, deduct 10, further divide by two then add nothing other than a couple of £'s then you wil have your answer.....try living in the woolies I got BB at Dial up speed......:D

It's the future Hamish - fiber to the box in the street, then copper to your house/office I expect.

eventually they'll do fiber to the house - but that might take a decade

Will undoubtably be better than what you have now - and newer kit to boot.

We have similar here from AT&T (Uverse) - I get 30 down on a good day with a following wind, which you quickly adapt to!

Hah Kev .. That would drive me mad!
Yeah thats the one Chris ... It's shouldn't be too bad here ... Greg has it round the corner and he gets a pretty good connection. He swore blind for ages that the router was the best he had had too until recently he has been moaning about it!
I have a dratech router which you would think would be good ... But it's ****
So I'm hoping this new one will be a bit nicer ... Thats really what I was hoping people might have experience of... The ongoing quality of service and kit!
If I get 10 down 1 up I'll be happy ... My connection now is appalling!

Well, we've had to phone India twice now, as the router stopped working. After seemingly hours of talking us through useless proceedures, they eventually sent out an engineer, who gave us a new router each time. You might get better service as a business.

This is a home hub Rob ...
We have something completely different at work... I don't even understand what that is, just part of the building...
That said, when we were with BT for work they weren't much better ... They left us, a web design company, without Internet for nearly 2 weeks. I got fixed when I found a open zone man in the street on a different job and asked him of he could have a look at our issue ... Couple of hours later the Internet came to life ... Madness

The funny thing is, I've never had a single problem with talktalk in 2 years ... But everyone says they are crap
Hannah's dad has talktalk, he has to take the phone off the hook to use the broad band and no one can explain why

So, phone calls to India ... That sounds fun... I'll look forward to that!

I'm tempted not to say how lucky I've been in case I jinx something...

I'm on standard copper with Orange and get 12 down and 1 up, but that's largley because the exchange is literally spitting distance from the flat.

I did have one problem when the speeds dropped drastically. I had been getting 6 down but this dropped to barely 1. Support checked everything and then told me to try changing the adsl filter plugged into the phone socket. It seemed an odd thing to try, but I had a spare so I tried it and my speed went up to 12 immediately!

I got Infinity about a week ago and so far I'm pretty impressed. Been doing loads of downloads and speed tests and it's pretty good, getting about 39.9 down and 1.5 up, down is the fastest I've seen anyone get with it in my area so I'm happy with that. Up is a little under par so hoping that settles out once their fancy computers have done all the error checking on the lines. But over all I'm pretty impressed.

On a side note though, their customer services are awful so I will do anything I can not to deal with them, pretty much the worst I have experienced.

Our Broadband used to be really bad like Kev dial-up sort of speed if I was lucky, to watch a 30 second you-tube used to take five minutes to load :mad:. Then they upgraded the lines to infinity which like Chris said fiber optic to the box at the end of the street then cable to the house and for us it's been great:).
Just done a speed test and it's come up as Download 36.47Mbps and Upload 8.40 Mbps so I'm happy with that;).

We have my computer and my sons computer connected to the router by cable and two laptops connected wireless and had no problems. However my wifes mother got infinity and has been getting a lot of problems with losing connection and slow speeds and she only has her computer connected wirelessly and no can work out what the problem is:(.

well this is good
1942711035.png

I thought mine was fast at 37.15mbs download and 8.20 mbs upload...

Holy cr@p - must be downhill to your gaff Hamish!

It's actaully "infinity 2" an I think I'm quite close to the sub station ...
On his kit it measured 64/22, but he said that is optimal conditions or something!

Our Broadband used to be really bad like Kev dial-up sort of speed if I was lucky, to watch a 30 second you-tube used to take five minutes to load :mad:. Then they upgraded the lines to infinity which like Chris said fiber optic to the box at the end of the street then cable to the house and for us it's been great:).
Just done a speed test and it's come up as Download 36.47Mbps and Upload 8.40 Mbps so I'm happy with that;).

We have my computer and my sons computer connected to the router by cable and two laptops connected wireless and had no problems. However my wifes mother got infinity and has been getting a lot of problems with losing connection and slow speeds and she only has her computer connected wirelessly and no can work out what the problem is:(.

Suggest you check that the connection isnt going to bt fon or openzone my sis in law had the same problem with a homehub 3

Back