Canon 550D

Davie Hudson

i'm toying with the idea of buying one, whats the general opinion ?

So is Laurie, if you compare sepc with the newer & more expensive 600 there is virtually no difference bar a swizzler out screen

Go for it you wont regret it As its a canon :)

Daz

PS its £438.00 on Amazon & canon are offering £30 cash back, even more tempting eh :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
I know..... You betraying the Oly tribe Davie? ;p

no particular reason, I like changing, fancy taking the odd video(which the oly doesn't have), like the way it looks, seems like a better camera so no particular reason to be honest, in a sad way I never usually have a reason for things lolol

I know..... You betraying the Oly tribe Davie? ;p

not at all Dan, I love the Oly and researching the 2 in side by side comparisons and if the Canon comes out better I may buy one, then again I may not hahaa

That is a valid point Hamish. Admittedly the HD video feature on the 550d is a plus advantage for me....

A bigger sensor allows the use of cheaper ultra wide lenses ... That would be my biggest plus point for canon!

which considering I do mainly landscapes is a big plus point for me too

Have you been able to get your hands on one Davie - physically?

It's a small camera body compared to the larger Canon models - just checking you'd had a hands on to see if that suits you?

Have you been able to get your hands on one Davie - physically?

It's a small camera body compared to the larger Canon models - just checking you'd had a hands on to see if that suits you?

It's actually slightly bigger than the Oly Chris which is small and i will be adding a battery grip which will bring it up to a good size as opposed to the bigger body which I feel would be too big with the battery grip

You should be golden then.

Probably a very good size/weight for the hiking and shooting you do.

It has the live view mode which I find key for landscape work on a tripod - one of the more useful innovations in the last few years.

ZMODLV.GIF

ZLVCALLOUTS.GIF

You should be golden then.

Probably a very good size/weight for the hiking and shooting you do.

It has the live view mode which I find key for landscape work on a tripod - one of the more useful innovations in the last few years.

ZMODLV.GIF

i do love live view and saw a you tube thing about connecting it to a laptop and using the laptop screen as a live view( this may be normal with cameras and I just never knew lol)

Laptop, or even a battery powered HD screen - I've been thinking of adding one to the kit so I could view live comps on a 7" monitor in the field.

421586504_619.jpg

Bit flash though - haven't pulled the trigger :D

I dusted the 5D2 down yesterday Hamish...

... and leant it to son #1 for the afternoon! :D

I'd love to have a smaller form factor for my kit, but the fact is that full frame is about the SMALLEST sensor I can get away with for architecture. I'm more likely to get into medium format of some sort...

I'm still thinking I'll probably pick up an X-pro 1 to have for shooting family and such. But I'm not likely to get into a position where my DSLR starts collecting dust. The 550 is just too small for me, but it's a nice bit of kit for landscapes and birding, etc.

I was looking at the 550D and the 600D the other day side by side and hands on, the only difference I could see was the tilting LCD screen on the 600D and also there is a take a still function on the 600D that isnt on the 550D, For me I will not use the tilting screen as I had one before and never ever used it, and the video aspect Im not even going to go there and I dont use video,when I do I use my camcorder,I currently use the 450D with a grip which for my hands is perfect in size, and although these two were slighly bigger I could get used to them,the other cameras such as 50D & 60D felt to awkward in my hands and just didnt feel right.

Oh, I forgot to comment on the thing I originally intended to write about. I do occasionally shoot tethered (which, for the uninitiated, means attached to a laptop with a cord). With Canon software or even LR, you can control the camera and shoot that way. It does help when composing. You can really verify that the camera is straight, and also that you've de-conflicted any converging or overlapping perspectives. That screen is brilliant and I may need one of those, myself.

Back