Canon AE-1, Ilford HP5...and Nik Silver

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
The camera (Canon AE-1) belongs to Rhona, who only lets it out once a year - I got in early this year. Lens - Canon 28mm 1:2.8 Circulating filter thing. Some toning by Auld Nik.

Low light, with mini iPad for highlight on face

RhonaBrown by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Cheese Shop

Smellis by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Across from the cheese shop...

Tree Slope by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Exercise in DOF

Hen Party by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Hidden back street restaurant - must try it some time

Cafe Saint Honore by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Branch Tracks

Branching Out by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

- - - Updated - - -

PS Just bought a Canon T90 in excellent condition! Looks like we are a Canon family, at least for film. I'll do a write up on it soon. Seems an excellent camera.

Last edited:
Circulating filter thing? Circular polariser? I love the cheese shop and restaurant :D Its amazing how sharp the images look :) Very nice :D

Very niced set of images, Rob. You seem to be perfecting the old time image look, which I which I think is marvellous.

I, too, have a Canon FD 28mm f2.8. I use that lens a lot.

T90, eh? Excellent piece of machinery. They sometimes have a shutter-related problem that gives a "EEE" message on the LCD. I've been told by a several camera repair people, and by Canon themselves, that parts are unavailable and therefore a T90 with the EEE isn't fixable. Seems incredible but that's what I've been told. However, I'm sure you'll enjoy that camera; it has a lovely ergonomic about it.

Thanks, David. Circular polariser - that's it! Forgot it was on!

Thanks, Brian. I got the T90 for the price of a packet of strings, and no EEE messages in sight, thankfully. It looks to be in excellent order. I'll be using the same lens on it I used for these shots. Might buy a 50mm as well. But, as, I say, I'll write more on that anon...

Last edited:
The T90 is worth a few bob; certainly far more than a set of strings. (Unless strings for period instruments are really dear.)

That's hilarious, Pete. I have paid over £200 for lute strings in the past. Not this time. Got it for £30 in Shelter shop, where we bought Rhona's for £25 (iirc) last summer. There are some on eBay even cheaper, some more expensive, in various states of repair.

Yes, these are the results from the film which I under-rated, as you say. Might do that more often!

Last edited:
Across from the cheese shop...

Tree Slope by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Hidden back street restaurant - must try it some time

Cafe Saint Honore by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Bush Tracks

Branching Out by RobMacKillop, on Flickr[/CENTER]

Because you have taken these with film Rob to me they hold a certain intangible.
I really really like these three, particularly the third.

I have become jaded with the process of digital photography ( although i still love digital photographs as seen from my exuberant comments about everyone else's photos) & jaded with my own digital photographs which at the time when i took them meant something, now i just don't know. I think we lost something in digital despite digital allowing me to photograph on the spot in a way i could never with film.

Amazing what you learn on RPF. I decided to investigate your allegation, Pete. And I find that catgut strings were not made out of cats at all, but mostly from sheep or goats and sometimes cattle. The etymology suggests "catgut" was originally "cattle-gut."

Rob, therefore, may not actually be responsible for Edinburgh's missing cats. To be more precise, if Rob is responsible for the missing cats, its probably not anything to do with making strings from their guts. I think an apology to Rob over the cats may be in order, Pete.

However, the question now is,...are sheep in the Edinburgh area safe when Rob is around? ;)

Thanks, ahmad. But to be honest, they looked poor without some digital enhancing. I really have grown to love mixing film and digital techniques - it's not a case of one being superior to the other: they can be complementary.

Not sure where you got your info, Brian, but the term cat gut came from Catline - the Italian city where the (sheep) strings were manufactured during Galileo's time.

Sheep may safely graze around here, believe me! There are wonderful photos from the 1930s (I think) of sheep being grazed on Arthur's Seat (that might sound weird if you don't know that Arthur's Seat is a dead volcano in the middle of Edinburgh...)

Not sure where you got your info, Brian, but the term cat gut came from Catline - the Italian city where the (sheep) strings were manufactured during Galileo's time.

Sheep may safely graze around here, believe me! There are wonderful photos from the 1930s (I think) of sheep being grazed on Arthur's Seat (that might sound weird if you don't know that Arthur's Seat is a dead volcano in the middle of Edinburgh...)

Rob,...I beg your pardon, but always get my information from the most reliable of sources. In this instance I consulted Wikipedia, whose credentials, I'm sure you will agree, are irrefutable! (Please double-check your own sources.;))

Back