Canon CPS: Alessandro Della Bella shoots low-light timelapses with EOS-1D X

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Canon CPN have done a write-up on low light time-lapse, highlighting their latest 1DX and it's high-ISO low light performance. The article also provides good insight into the techniques and potential pitfalls for this type of photography.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/della_bella_low_light_timelapse_with_eos_1d_x.do?u tm_source=newsletter-january-1-2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

"Produced in extreme conditions, and from remote locations, Alessandro Della Bella’s timelapse low-light landscapes are as beautiful as they are captivating; showing the world from a spellbinding new perspective"

When they say extreme - they mean extreme - here's one of the cameras during the shoot - covered in ice!

caption_002.jpg

"The combination of shooting at night and working at such high altitude means that Alessandro Della Bella – and his EOS cameras – face some harsh conditions, with temperatures plunging well below freezing. “When I started shooting this material I was surprised how well the cameras performed: on Piz Corvatsch at -25°C the EOS-1D X worked perfectly. Usually low temperatures themselves are not the problem – a cold alpine environment is also very dry, so lenses stay free of ice. It’s when clouds appear that humidity arrives, bringing ice with it. Sometimes I love the unpredictable results this can give, though I'm always looking for good ways to protect my equipment. When ice gets too much, a quick lens change is the best way of clearing things. I put the frozen lenses in front of a little oven to warm up a bit, though sometimes they clear themselves in the wind.”

[video=vimeo;55899485]http://vimeo.com/55899485[/video]

Am I alone in finding that movie lacked any aesthetic statement other than "look at all these things going by quickly"? I agree the read up on the equipment is interesting, but the result just did nothing for me.

Am I alone in finding that movie lacked any aesthetic statement other than "look at all these things going by quickly"? I agree the read up on the equipment is interesting, but the result just did nothing for me.

I preferred the single shots

You are not alone Rob. I ended up skipping through the video. I do not think the location helped or the editing. Maybe it was more about the actual project and what the gear could withstand. Lets say i have seen better time laps, but time laps of this manner is not my cup of tea anyway. would love the camera though even with it being a heavy wight to carry around.

I think their is a big chasm between stills photography and movie making - with movies you have to tell the story in a different way, and just being able to technically get the shot doesn't get you there.

It's like all the special FX movies that came after StarWars - most of them were pants because they had no story, no direction etc

There are few timelapse people out there who can put together a compelling film.

Back