Elizabeth Kreutz photographs ‘Ironman’ with the EOS-1D X

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Documentary sports photographer Elizabeth Kreutz has been spending time with Canon’s flagship DSLR, the 18.1 Megapixel EOS-1D X, and recently put it to the ultimate endurance test – shooting the 2012 Ironman World Championships in Hawaii.

header.jpg

Canon have published her experiences as a write-up on the camera here: Canon Professional Network - Elizabeth Kreutz photographs

caption_002.jpg

Her initial reaction echoed my own - as I handled the camera for the first time last week at CES.

Elizabeth commented "With the EOS-1D X, I knew I was holding a whole new beast of a camera. However, I didn’t know just how different it was until I started experimenting. To be honest, at first I was overwhelmed by all the different menu settings and Custom Functions and found myself confused with even the simplest of tasks, like the change in placement to open the card slots (I kept trying to open it with the joystick!) and pushing the wrong button to change ISO."

caption_003.jpg

The write-up covers some of the key features of the camera, including it's weather sealing - but also notes how complex the camera was for a seasoned Canon shooter to get their head around.

"The EOS-1D X is definitely the supercar of cameras and as a supercar takes time to understand and master, so does the EOS-1D X. And when you do... life is so, so, sweet! After shooting with the camera now for a few weeks, I’ve had a couple of tutorial lessons and learned so much more. I’ve also swapped information and favourite features with my Canon colleagues that have in turn led to more ‘ah-ha’ moments."

Getting past the tech - there's still the issue of the price... $6,728.99 for just the body!

To me it's an insane amount of money for a camera that will probably be out of date in 36mths - I guess it depends who's paying for your cameras - you or an employer.

Back