Critique Welcomed Colour Vs B&w Plus I'm Not Sure If The Pic Is Ok!

Shane Johns

I took this pic about 4 years ago at Knole in Kent, Eng. At the time I had just got into HDR and because the sun was so strong I took 3 exposures to try and get some detail in the shadows and highlights. At the time I processed it and it looked ok, but I thought I'd revisit the image now and give it another go. I hardly ever do HDR now, and if I do, I'm careful to ensure that it doesn't look straight away like HDR.

So, it's just a door :) so I'm not sure if it's that appealing an image. After processing I have ended up with a colour and B&W image.

Critique welcomed on if you prefer one or the other, whether you think it's an appealing pic, or even if you hate it :D

knole_door_2.jpg

knole_door_bw.jpg

I like it and unusually for me i'm gonna go for the colour ..... and a door is never just a door :D

An ancient doorway? That's exactly the sort of thing I'd shoot. Some lovely weathering on that door!

The slight yellow tinge to the stone is unusual, so maybe a reason to go with the colour one. Although I do like the B&W.

Overall I think I prefer the color one, Shane. However, I like how the actual door looks in B&W. (I'm not suggesting selective color as an option because that always seems gimmicky to me.) And as Davie said, a door is never just a door. Nice shot(s).

I like the colour one the most as I think the colour is an important part of the image and a fine door it is too. I hope you don't mind, but I think there is a small amount of barrel distortion evident in the image that should be corrected. Also I would suggest a crop, a bit off the bottom and up to the door frame off the right?

Yep - I think it's in the square courtyard as you first enter. It's funny but I only noticed it as I was leaving!

You found this at Knole?! That's only twenty minutes from us and I used to go there lots as a kid. I think we've had countless doors in here before - I have one myself that needs scanning. I like both of these, but the lovely yellow tones make me go for the colour :)

You're right about the distortion - I didn't have Lightroom when I first did the image. As for cropping, I was hoping someone would give me their suggestion on where to crop. I originally had the door right I the centre but I agree that it might be better just off to one side.

I like the colour one the most as I think the colour is an important part of the image and a fine door it is too. I hope you don't mind, but I think there is a small amount of barrel distortion evident in the image that should be corrected. Also I would suggest a crop, a bit off the bottom and up to the door frame off the right?

Back