Crossfire

Very nice - particularly the B&W of the glass on the table

laROQUE_shadowlight2.jpg

How are you finding the X100 compares to the new X-Pro1 to use in these close-quarter situations?

Hi Patrick... Not plugging.. Sharing ;)
Do us a favour when sharing parts of your blog with us, put your fave shot into the above post... That way, if it seems the sort of blog post that would suit the ezine part of the site it will have a little thumb nail with the article excerpt...

Anyway... To the images, just my cuppa this sort of thing! I have a bunch to play with my self in the x100 and espon rd1 right now! Is that you missis in the last couple? She looks a little like Jenifer Connely!

I particularly like the first one! The non parallel verticals make it slightly uncomfortable but in a positive way!
What on earth is going on in number 6?

Thanks guys!
@Chris: Well… If i had an X-Pro1 to compare it to…
Seriously, I've had the X100 for almost a year now so its 35mm POV is pretty much ingrained by now. I like how it can look either normal or slightly wide depending on the shot and how you frame it. I've always just accepted the focal length and reach for images that suit it. I'm really interested in the 50mm and 90mm equivalents on the X-Pro1 though…

@Hamish: Understood :)
And I'll keep that in mind for next time. I wasn't sure if I should upload a pic or not.

Number 6 is my youngest going through a string maze - I'm shooting from a staircase on the right. It is a little bizarre I admit!
Yes, that's the missus alright (!)

Last edited:
Jennifer Connelly? "your him aren't you, your the goblin king"... ;)

We are always up for photo posting here matey!

I know what you mean about the longer lenses ... I have been very curious and often feel in the need of longer lens, despite that almost instinctual 35mm reaction when actaully holding the x100!
My solution (as I previously alluded to) has been to get the Epson out with my 35mm cv and 50mm Jupiter ... The cv is particularly nice and is the perfect match to the Epson... But... I'm still very intrigued by the x1pro!

Are you set on getting one yet? Or still not sure?

The string maze shot is a great one... Loads of intrigue!!

Wonderful set there Patrick. The string maze is certainly one of my favourites but I love the shot of your daughter and her grandfather looking out the window. It has a great atmosphere of anticipation to it - but for what? And the last portrait is super. So many elements that I like in a composition. And the idea linking together works so well.

@Pete: Thanks man. Very, very much appreciated. There's a special relationship between our youngest daughter and her grandfather (my girlfriend's father)... So this one felt right on a lot of levels.

@Hamish: No, no, no... Call me the Diamond Dog ;)
About the X-Pro1: to be honest, the budget is a little tight these days so I haven't pre-ordered. For what I'm hoping to use it I'll have to get my hands on one before I pull the trigger. I absolutely love what I've seen so far. It'll come down to operational considerations. You?

I've looked at these shots a few times now, Patrick. There is something about them that grabs me. Your skills for framing a shot, and the beautiful simplicity of the camera - seems a good combination. I was thinking of getting a x100, though it would take me until Christmas to save up for it. Until Christmas 2013 for the X-Pro1...

The more it try to justify it, the more it becomes unlikely (which is unlike me http://www.realphotographersforum.c...ras/4150-im-like-kid-i-want-fuji-645-now.html)

I would need to sell things, the only things of that sort of value I could sell are things the x1pro would replace ... Ie the x100 and Epson ... Both would struggle to fetch £600 each these days so I would still need to move on some other kit and I'm struggling to think what!
I could see me moving on the x100 for somthing better ... But I'm not sure I could let the Epson go... It's a bit too special!
Somone should invent a special card that you can use to spend money that isn't yours ... Credit if you will ... That is one thing that might tip the balance toward me getting one ;)

Some wonderful images there Patrick. I love your selective use of light, exemplified I think by the first image in the blog. Very nice indeed.

@Rob and Brian: Thank you guys.
Rob, I Know what you mean… I'd love to get an X-Pro1 but… Gotta feed those three kids of ours (!)

My X100 is headed for repair due to the dreaded sticky blades syndrome. Fortunately, Fujifilm Canada are pretty cool about the process and take care of everything, including shipping. They even called me a few minutes ago to make sure everything was alright and explain what would be happening with the camera. Complete replacement of the optical components, including lens and sensor. No small thing…

They're promising a two day turnaround once they receive shipment… I'm going to be feeling a little lonely these next few days :(

Mmmmmm, Googled the sticky blades issue - scary stuff!

How old was your camera?

Bought it last April, so almost a year. Mine was part of the very first shipments and according the technician I spoke with this morning, they've since remodelled the lens assembly to prevent the issue. Something to do with the lubrification of the aperture blades apparently. Which is why they're going all out and just replacing the entire thing free of charge. He also said the problem on those early models was pretty random… appearing anywhere after 1000 to 5000 clicks.

On the bright side: since the shutter's part of the lens I'll be getting what amounts to a brand new camera. Reset of shutter actuations, new glass, new sensor. Not a bad deal in the end. Can't say I'm disappointed with how they're dealing with the issue. From what I've heard this appears to be standard procedure.

If you're curious, I wrote a blog post about this yesterday with a pretty conclusive test:
An Erratic Tale - the effects on the X100 of the sticky blades syndrome. - blog - laROQUE

sticky.jpg

Back