DIY Curved film plane biscuit tin pin hole camera Project

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I was going to post all of this in one go, but have enjoyed following Pete's progress on his DIY project (here)
For my project I have big ideas ... but not so much DIY talent.
I thought I would start relatively simple with a biscuit tin camera.
I quite like the idea of experimenting with a curved film plane so this is a good place to start I think ...
Her is the tin

68a6f9d5.jpg

nice a shiny on the inside ... that wont help much!

9053c6f3.jpg

so ... matt black spray paint

0aa57029.jpg

I needed a way to hold the film in place so I figured making some metal clips
I cut some squares of metal from some sheet aluminium i ad knocking around
I dont have any snips so i had to use a jigsaw ... I didn't want to knacker Hannah's kitchen scissors

929f89f7.jpg

bodged it a bit

826440ff.jpg

so some sanding was required

d46b03b0.jpg

a bit more spray paint

673c20b3.jpg

A drill, some nuts and bolts later
The space between the clips is 12cm so I can take 6x12cm images on MF
the film slots tightly behind the clips holding it in place until I reach my location

52eab5ff.jpg

Hole drilled for pinhole shim (Tom is making that bit for me)

bd8fe4f0.jpg

So yeah, that's where im up to!

Good one Hamish,,,guess I'd better make a start and stop procrastinating over the issue of my shutter mechanism...:p

I thought about it ... But I think a more stealthy look is better ... I'm also not the biggest pink fan in camera styling ...

way ahead of you Paul
Ive been reading up a bit about it ...
some images you find online show promise, some look muddled and crap where the overlap occurs

I would have thought that you calculate your image size and use that to work out the distance between each hole. Simples! Probably much harder to actually put the holes in exactly the right place though.

I must admit I have pretty much not started with this. I have modified an old Boots Amica into a pinhole camera but not tried it yet! I guess that it won't count as it was done before the thread was started and it is only semi DIY.

Back