Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
That's right, i had a go at this waterfall photography larky

_DSC7362.jpg

_DSC7328.jpg

_DSC7311.jpg

_DSC7302.jpg

_DSC7301.jpg

[MAPS]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dol+goch+falls&aq=&sll=52.622533,-3.995279&sspn=0.202165,0.676346&ie=UTF8&hq=dol+goch+falls&hnear=&ll=52.622435,-3.995247&spn=0.012635,0.042272&t=h&z=15[/MAPS]

Fab area isint it Hamish, are these handheld ..........?

Fab area isint it Hamish, are these handheld ..........?

stunning mate, absolutely beautiful! your very lucky to live round there! (apart from the lack of phone signal ;))

not hand held ... this was the one time throughout the trip i used the tripod!

better safe than sorry when trying something new i reckon

I did ... and i do ...this sort of thing has been a million times before ... "wet leaf on a rock" photography i call it ... i dont think there is anything wrong with it, its just very difficult these days to do anything like this that has any chance of standing out from the ten million other iterations of it...

But, despite that, just because it has been done a lot more doesnt mean that other people shouldnt try it and continue to try it ... there is a learning curve involved in producing images like this and as with anything in photography learning how to do things like this is likely to positively effect photography skills as a whole ... and apart from anything, it was very satisfying to do!

I personally would continue to try to find more original imagery, but for me there is nothing wrong with taking photography like this on the way ... after all, it is a type of photography, and photography is what i enjoy, regardless of what type or genre!

what i love about these isn't the effect of the moving water (which i am a fan of) but the tone and atmosphere of them which is very close to my heart being as i spend a lot of my spare time in these types of areas

It was my favorite place we visited whilst in wales, i think it shows in the photos how much i liked it ... I have often been a little dismissive of this sort of photography, mentioning how many times it has been done! this experience changed my point of view! It might be quite common, but really the thing that is often missed is the joy of taking the photos!
I have a much greater appreciation for this sort of thing since!

It was my favorite place we visited whilst in wales, i think it shows in the photos how much i liked it ... I have often been a little dismissive of this sort of photography, mentioning how many times it has been done! this experience changed my point of view! It might be quite common, but really the thing that is often missed is the joy of taking the photos!
I have a much greater appreciation for this sort of thing since!

you're totally right, the enjoyment you get being out there and witnessing nature like this is great. I used to be an indoor person doing 'product' photography until one day i had a spare day and went up in the highlands and to be honest it changed my life

Funnily enough, i really enjoy product photography!
... its never shy, and the light is completely controllable! its funny how different types of photography give different sense of achievement

A job im on at the mo... im going to do a bit of a write up on it once we are done ... here is a little teaser :)
not quite perfect, but getting there...

_DSC0142-1.jpg

_DSC0141.jpg

nice job indeed, with me it was never a job just shooting stuff i had in the house like my Bang & Olufsen record deck, shure 55 microphone etc ... things of interest really

Which b&o deck do you have? We have a few hifi enthusiasts here!
Funnily enough I used to have a bit of a PA, so the sm55 is something I am also familiar with!!

Which b&o deck do you have? We have a few hifi enthusiasts here!
Funnily enough I used to have a bit of a PA, so the sm55 is something I am also familiar with!!

A Beogram 1600 :) The SM55 is the mic I use when i'm Dj'ing

i'll post up the shot of the beogram

I used to have a 4 sm58s, a Carlsbro mixer/amp and a pair of Carlsbro 1x15's ... Gave it away in the end, a mate uses the speakers in his recording studio in Cardiff ... Was a lot of fun when I had it though, I used to arrange gigs in village halls, get a load of bands to play, and get very drunk! Loads of fun for a teenager!

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to see te photos of the b&o! Do you still use it?

I used to have a 4 sm58s, a Carlsbro mixer/amp and a pair of Carlsbro 1x15's ... Gave it away in the end, a mate uses the speakers in his recording studio in Cardiff ... Was a lot of fun when I had it though, I used to arrange gigs in village halls, get a load of bands to play, and get very drunk! Loads of fun for a teenager!

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to see te photos of the b&o! Do you still use it?

I don't still use it no, it is on my wall as a design piece(it still works) ... for the club i now use Numark TT200's because they have the ability to play 78's which I do regularly (some great jump blues stuff)

So that's your job is it? A DJ?
You mentioned the club in the first post, what sort of place is it? Music do you 'spin'? Are you all vinyl?

So that's your job is it? A DJ?
You mentioned the club in the first post, what sort of place is it? Music do you 'spin'? Are you all vinyl?

No for a job I'm a Cnc machinist/ programmer .. The dj thing is something I've done for years, first of all with northern soul then onto R&B and I've ran the club night for 6 years playing 50's and 60's rhythm& blues. It is all vinyl yeah, original US issue only and that is a rule we don't budge on :) .

Nowadays I only play at my own events but a few years ago I was in Europe most weekends, and was a resident in a monthly club in Barcelona :)

Back