Fishing on the bridge to Barmouth

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
First off ... the nikon 16-35 is AMAZING ... i used it pretty much exclusively the whole week ...
This is a shot i am particularly pleased with ... im not sure the 2 blokes in the photo were so pleased with it ... hey ho ...

_DSC7131-1.jpg

taken on the bridge over the estuary here

[MAPS]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Church+Street,+Barmouth&aq=0&sll=52.719515,-4.047561&sspn=0.007032,0.021136&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Church+St,+Barmouth,+Gwynedd+LL42,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.720217,-4.049041&spn=0.007031,0.021136&t=h&z=16[/MAPS]

Last edited:
Ooooo, very nice Hamish - that ultra wide really pulls the clouds in, and frames the shot beautifully.

Love the way the bridge pulls you into the subject as well - NICE!

cheers buddy! ... I never thought id like ultra wide photography so much you know ... but the way it plays with perspective just makes it so much fun ... i think i was just a lot crapper at photography when i had my sigma 10-20 as i never got stuff i was happy with ...

o yes i know this bridge very well........i didn't know they fished off it though. Great view towards barmouth or back up the Mawddach Estuary towards Dolgellau also.

Did a train come over while you were on that bridge Hamish?? in rattles & shake like hell.....very scary....hehe

Great image, what time of day was this taken, roughly?? I like how you have the guys in the frame to.

Great work.........great lens also by the looks

Daz

Well, my instant response was "Ooooo" but Chris got there before me :) That's a smashing photo. Love the symmetry and the colours. Very unusual composition which works beautifully.

Cheers,

Kate

o yes i know this bridge very well........i didn't know they fished off it though. Great view towards barmouth or back up the Mawddach Estuary towards Dolgellau also.

Did a train come over while you were on that bridge Hamish?? in rattles & shake like hell.....very scary....hehe

It was one of my favourite places whilst i was there ... i actually got Hannahs dad to drop me off at the Barmouth end whilst he drove round ... took me exactly the same time to walk across it to Morfa Mawddach train station as it took them to drive round!
on that walk, a train did come ... but i was just off the bridge ... i was a little disapointed to be fair, but last night there was a storm we as we walked across and that was AMAZING ... photos to come!

Great image, what time of day was this taken, roughly?? I like how you have the guys in the frame to.

bout 9.30 id say

Great work.........great lens also by the looks

Daz

ta, yes, i love it!

One of my fav shots of yours so far!!! This is the muts nuts!! Great compo, great lens, and great location..... Very much liking it!!! How did the characters not silhouette against the light? Great lens and technique I guess..... :)

Cheers Dan! I'm pretty pleased with it too! Took a matrix meter reading from the water/bridge/people pressed the ae lock button then recomposed the shot ... One of the advantages of having a camera with lots of buttons on the back! :)
Then I just brought the sky back in pp ... The 16-35 has vr so i knew I could get away with shooting at 1/25th (from memory) which allowed me to use a low iso (200 from memory) which has about 12 stops of dynamic range meaning I wouldn't loose to much detail in highlights in the sky ... Its easy with a d3 ... ...

Haha!! I can see your surreptitious efforts to get me to buy a nikon after a recent descussion at your BBQ. Lol, 'easy with a D3' and 'having Many buttons on the back' hahaha!! My wife would kill me if I spend that much money! fair play though, very nice shot, I bet your well chuffed with the new lens!! Thanks for sharing the info in the compo!!

Back