Some pre wedding Photies ...

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Im doing a wedding at what is possibly the holy grail of local venues this summer ... Eastnor Castle

http://www.eastnorcastle.com/

[MAPS]http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=castle&ie=UTF8&t=h&sll=52.02998,-2.388067&sspn=0.003063,0.010568&rq=1&ev=zo&split=1&radius=0.27&hq=castle&hnear=&ll=52.02998,-2.388067&spn=0.003063,0.010568&z=17[/MAPS]

im so exited about it i cant even tell you

went there yesterday with the couple for a look around ... WOW!

here are some shots i did for them gratis in my excitement

_DSC63572.jpg

_DSC6359.jpg

_DSC6351.jpg

_DSC6348.jpg

_DSC6347.jpg

Not much pressure then Hamish!! Lol, when is this taking place?

perhaps a little much on the clarity control ... looks fine on my screen though ... i wanted it to look strong without to imposing ... to much perhaps?

no more pressure than usual really Dan ... just a little more exited for me :)

Nice pad! :)

So do you do the rounds with the couple and pre-pick the shooting locations for the wedding day?

not with any authority, we do like to look around venues with clients though its often the first time we meet both of them together. I find it makes them a little more comfortable with me on the day especially if i have already taken a few shots of them, it gives them a bit of an idea what to expect from me.
I do always make mental notes of locations, but often this changes on the day as the time of day can be different meaning the sun is in the wrong place ... or its raining ...
Overall, it does give us an idea, and we often go away discussing possible shot locations etc but like i say the day is often different ... even things like the size of the brides dress can change plans!

Looks a perfect location.

The first photo looks a bit too artificial to me, looks a bit like they have been photoshoped onto a background picture of a castle.

If that's harsh then sorry :) , but my wife thought the same , creative but something just over done a bit.

Heh, I dont mind ... Can't win em all, they seem to like them so that's what matters ... And I'm pretty pleased with them!
Might have another look at some stage see if I can win you lot over ;)

Looks a perfect location.

The first photo looks a bit too artificial to me, looks a bit like they have been photoshoped onto a background picture of a castle.

i have to agree Hamish, and on image 2 i dont like that wall or similar that is really out of focus to the front right of the image, far to distracting away from the couple.

Apart from that i reckon your gonna make this couple VERY happy with there wedding photos.

Daz

What lens did you use for these pre shots Hamish? Very nice!!!

YES!....
thoughts on compo with such a massive venue would be lovely ...
i know the pp is soft and low contrast ... thats not so much of a worry as im comfortable in getting what i want on the day and after in those terms ... although comments are welcome

Last edited:
actually ... ignore that ... comment as much as you like ignoring what i said in the previous post ... what would you have done with the above shots ...

Here we go!

Processing

Try not to use PP that is personal to your tastes. Tastes change over time, and can become outdated very quickly. A friend of mine who's also a pro wedding tog mentioned how he was shocked with his first set of weddings (after looking back at them) due to the styled processing he'd used. Many - many - people do this when starting out. It's a comfort thing: "I can make this better with processing". Dangerous, and usually the opposite is true. Have confidence with your shots. It's highly advisable to use WB balanced colour and normal B&W for wedding shots. The couple may not have the same processing tastes as you, but be too polite to say anything. Their tastes can change too. I've heard many stories where couples wish they didn't use at-the-time preferred effects in their album. Selective colour is one of those effects (*spit!*) :D

It's worth noting that soft contrast shots don't hold much impact in print - especially albums - people think they look misty or have had issues at print (seriously). People *generally* prefer punchier vibrant/contrasty images.

Posing

The couples are in the same pose in all the shots, and in each case, looking at you. Needs variety! Get them sitting down, walking, chatting, kissing, hugging etc. Frame them in windows, doorways, under trees, in bushes etc.

Always works to have them hold each other, face on - and have a kiss. Often they'll follow up the kiss with a giggle, which is a perfect moment to capture. Get shots of them engaging with each other, not the camera. They're engaged/married to each other, not you :¬)

It also works well having them look out of frame in some shots.

First image: the lady has her eyes closed/half closed. A lesson there - always take 3+ shots of each pose. Nothing more annoying than having great shot which you can't use. Nice framing. There could be a little more subject padding on the left, which would balance the space upper right between tower and frame edge.

Second: shooting through things to give depth works great with things like flowers, windows and fences. The object in the front here detracts rather than adds as it's not consistent/close with the couple. Generally, use foreground objects that are linked with the subject. Stick them in a bush/tree and it's a perfect place to use blurred foregrounds. Monotone isn't the best processing technique to use with foreground blurring either, as the colours and tones help separate the elements of the photo.

Third: much better! Tells more of a story. If they were smiling at each other, it would be even better. When I pop out in front of people to take snaps, I often jest (with a smile), "Ignore me, I'm not here!". They then laugh and look at each other. Perfect :¬)

Fourth: 85/1.4 written all over it :¬) Nice framing and smiles. Again, interaction between them would work wonders here. This is the kind of shot where the couple looking out of frame would work well.

Fifth: this kind of shot is suited well with the couple walking together, either towards or away from you. You have the same elements, as a posed/still version, yet it adds depth and movement.

Hope this helps dude!

Edit: the colour versions need WB adjustment, overly warm and a tad over-saturated :¬)

Here we go!

Processing

Try not to use PP that is personal to your tastes. Tastes change over time, and can become outdated very quickly. A friend of mine who's also a pro wedding tog mentioned how he was shocked with his first set of weddings (after looking back at them) due to the styled processing he'd used. Many - many - people do this when starting out. It's a comfort thing: "I can make this better with processing". Dangerous, and usually the opposite is true. Have confidence with your shots. It's highly advisable to use WB balanced colour and normal B&W for wedding shots. The couple may not have the same processing tastes as you, but be too polite to say anything. Their tastes can change too. I've heard many stories where couples wish they didn't use at-the-time preferred effects in their album. Selective colour is one of those effects (*spit!*) :D

this is an odd one ... did a wedding where the couple were so keen on heavy post process that they suggested i did it ... after that i actually started marketing my self as someone who did do "very stylised" photography ... this had the advantage (and this might sound odd) of significantly reducing the amount of incoming wedding work ... but increasing the frequency of me doing weddings where i could go a bit nuts with my own style ... this was perfect for me as i wanted to do less weddings - I love doing them and don't want to pack them in all together but im to busy to do it full time .... it also meant that the ones i did do i could be a bit arty with ... when it works, it really works ... but as your mate has found if it doesnt work you can end up really disliking some of your shots quite quickly ... i have one set from last year where my camera failed ... it messed my head so much that i did over compensate in the pp and i don't like the photos now ... makes me worry to think about it ...
that said this
I've heard many stories where couples wish they didn't use at-the-time preferred effects in their album.
has also recently occurred to me .. which is why i was and still am so happy with these http://www.realphotographersforum.com/threads/1349-Alice-and-Ben-s-Wedding

It's worth noting that soft contrast shots don't hold much impact in print - especially albums - people think they look misty or have had issues at print (seriously). People *generally* prefer punchier vibrant/contrasty images.

agreed ... these were really just some snaps i took whilst i was there ... i quite often do a few pre wedding shots ... and its actually more about me getting to know the couple a bit ... i dont like to push them to pose in pre wedding shots as ive found it adds a bit of complication to what is just a bit of a chat and wonder round the venue

Posing

The couples are in the same pose in all the shots, and in each case, looking at you. Needs variety! Get them sitting down, walking, chatting, kissing, hugging etc. Frame them in windows, doorways, under trees, in bushes etc.

Always works to have them hold each other, face on - and have a kiss. Often they'll follow up the kiss with a giggle, which is a perfect moment to capture. Get shots of them engaging with each other, not the camera. They're engaged/married to each other, not you :¬)

It also works well having them look out of frame in some shots.

agreed ... there is something nice about when they get to the point they are completely relaxed about you ... i have some lovely shots of that sort of thing ...

First image: the lady has her eyes closed/half closed. A lesson there - always take 3+ shots of each pose. Nothing more annoying than having great shot which you can't use. Nice framing. There could be a little more subject padding on the left, which would balance the space upper right between tower and frame edge.

Second: shooting through things to give depth works great with things like flowers, windows and fences. The object in the front here detracts rather than adds as it's not consistent/close with the couple. Generally, use foreground objects that are linked with the subject. Stick them in a bush/tree and it's a perfect place to use blurred foregrounds. Monotone isn't the best processing technique to use with foreground blurring either, as the colours and tones help separate the elements of the photo.

Third: much better! Tells more of a story. If they were smiling at each other, it would be even better. When I pop out in front of people to take snaps, I often jest (with a smile), "Ignore me, I'm not here!". They then laugh and look at each other. Perfect :¬)

Fourth: 85/1.4 written all over it :¬) Nice framing and smiles. Again, interaction between them would work wonders here. This is the kind of shot where the couple looking out of frame would work well.

Fifth: this kind of shot is suited well with the couple walking together, either towards or away from you. You have the same elements, as a posed/still version, yet it adds depth and movement.

Hope this helps dude!

Edit: the colour versions need WB adjustment, overly warm and a tad over-saturated :¬)

it does help ... :)

Back