Dragon's

Glen Roberts

Dragonflies that is... Taken with a Canon 400mm L.

Male Common Darter:
CommonDarterMale.jpg

Female Common Darter:
CommonDarterFemale.jpg

Migrant Hawker:
MigrantHawker3.jpg

Had a go at a couple of in flight shots too.
MigrantHawker4.jpg

MigrantHawker1.jpg

MigrantHawker2.jpg

MigrantHawker5.jpg

I tried to catch some in flight but just couldn't get the things in the target sights so to speak. I did have the family with me who rapidly get bored after about 30 seconds of standing around so I couldn't spend much time on it. How long did you have to spend to get these shots Glen

Luckily I have the patience of a saint when it comes to wildlife. I spent about 45 minutes stood at the side of the pond and took about 110 shots in that time of which about 70% were binned.

Luckily I have the patience of a saint when it comes to wildlife. I spent about 45 minutes stood at the side of the pond and took about 110 shots in that time of which about 70% were binned.

..to go with your talent, too!

Super set of shots, there. Some of us cant get still lifes that well!

now them in flight shots are very impressive glen, patience obviously pays off with shots like these........!!

fab shots of these really weird creatures Shaggy, freak me out when they come flying at me so dont get chance to get any unless they on a leaf lol

Good luck with the Sunsets and Dragonflies at Wicken Fen Paul, I'll be looking forward to them.

Laurie, I said before give them a chance they are beautiful thing and wouldn't hurt a fly...!!! Well Ok, they would hurt a fly but they wouldn't hurt you ;) :D

Now thats a crackin set mate:D Your patiance has been rewarded

Frank

Amazing - did you use AI focus on the moving ones, or just preset the focus and wait for them to fly into the right spot?

Amazing - did you use AI focus on the moving ones, or just preset the focus and wait for them to fly into the right spot?

For the flight shots they were a bit small in the frame (and fast) so the auto-focus kept missing and focussing on the background, so I had to manually focus. I didn't preset the focus but now and again they would stop and hover for a second that's when I would focus and grab the shot.

Hope that helps.

Back