Edinburgh Pinhole Camera Exhibitions and Workshop 10 March, 2012

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Edinburgh Pinhole Camera Exhibitions and Workshop 10 March, 2012

This event was sponsored by Ilford, and run by local pinhole hero, Kenny Bean (www.kennybean.com).

On display were the new Titan pinhole camera by Ilford, and small cardboard pinhole cameras being developed by Ilford for school projects:

Ilford Stuff by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

The exhibition and workshops have been running from 5 March, and due to end on 17th March. Here is their official website.

I attended with my wife, Susan, and we both had such an amazing experience, we both want to continue pinholery (!) for the foreseeable future.

door by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

The exhibition gathered a small crowd for a Saturday morning, and the atmosphere was very relaxed:

relaxing by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

As we approached the venue, we knew we were in the right place, as various people were seen wandering around in a contemplative state, holding onto what seemed like a tea caddy....

guy by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

gal by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Kenny Bean had made 30 or so pinhole cameras from tea caddies, simple, durable and effective:

Tea Tin Camera by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

The lid was very useful for taking out the film.

We took our cameras, and hunted around the botanical gardens for suitable subjects...erm....trees...

Returning to the workshop venue, we were talked through developing our own shots. Neither Susan nor I had done this before, and I have to say we both found it addictive. It really is a magical moment seeing your first image appear out of 'nothing' :)

Of course, the first image we have is a negative. Here is Susan's tree:

Pinhole Tree 2 negative by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

And our positives:

Pinhole Tree 2 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Pinhole Tree by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Not bad first efforts, with room for refinement :D

Another student (whose name I regretfully never asked for) allowed me to photograph his excellent first effort:

positive-negative by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

We would have been happy with that, but were then given the chance to create our own photograms - something I had never seen before. Here you lay objects on top of photographic paper, then expose it to light for 2 seconds, and develop as normal. I think the images are stunning.

Mine first - small flowers:

Photogram Flowers by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

and Susan's magnificent dried leaf (the organisers really liked this one!)

Photogram Leaf by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

And finally a photo of two photograms by photography students from Stevenson College degree course:

two photo grams by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Overall, it was a great couple of hours, providing us with enough experience and insight to want to explore further - surely the sign of a successful workshop? It is hoped to be an annual event. Many thanks to Kenny Bean and Ilford.

Last edited:
Excellent fotie essay, Rob. Thanks for reporting and posting. Wish I could have been there! (Love your "pinhole tree"!)

Excellent stuff Rob - must have a play myself

That 'guy' shot looks so Zen - classic! :)

Dipped my toe in once, It is something I really want to get into.

Vic

Rob,...can I impose on you to describe the film-loading/unloading of the tea caddy-cams? (I assume your tree shot was with one of them.)

Thanks

Brian, we opened the lid and put in a sheet of Ilford paper, curved to fit against the back of the tin and along two sides. Then we put the lid back on, and sealed it with black tape, to keep out light. After taking the shot, we went to dark room, opened the lid and took the paper out. Simple.

Back