Edwin Smith

Thanks for that link, Tom. My childhood came flooding back, especially this picture. That's exactly how I remember my toddler years. I was pushed around in a pram exactly like that, and well remember the streets full of kids playing, and the ever-present ice-cream van. One man in our street worked in such a van, and he would give us all free ices when it came to throwing out the out-of-date stuff. Heaven.

Sirley Baker.jpg

Thanks for that link, Tom. My childhood came flooding back, especially this picture. That's exactly how I remember my toddler years. I was pushed around in a pram exactly like that, and well remember the streets full of kids playing, and the ever-present ice-cream van. One man in our street worked in such a van, and he would give us all free ices when it came to throwing out the out-of-date stuff. Heaven.

View attachment 9173
Brings back similar memories for me, too. Except the tenements in our street were rather tall, 4-story ones. But teeming with millions of kids and hundreds of women hanging out windows gabbing with other women.

Last edited:
Back