Enigmatic Portrait Series

Hi All,

Have started a series of supposedly enigmatic portraits. This is the first (and least enigmatic!) to try out the lighting etc. Almost there.

They were shot on a Cambo 4X5 using a PhaseOne P45 (ISO 50) back using a Rodenstock Grandagon N 75/4.5 (at f5.6) and tungsten lighting. Focus is pretty tricky at the light levels used and I may use another approach for the next sessions. Post processing mainly on colour etc to achieve a subdued effect.

InaRedTube1-3.jpg

Last edited:
I like this. The first thing that struck me was the colour cast on her face although the hands seem better and it's the hands and creases in the dress/coat make this a great shot.

Not sure about the space on the right though, although I can find a story to 'fill' that space. I so want something to be there to physically fill it. Maybe a regal looking greyhound :)

love the lighting though. cant wait to see one without the cast.

Vic

I quite like the cast
You may find it's caused if you have saved the jpeg in adobe rgb??

I like it, although I'd have a bit more space above her head ...

I like it too and I don't think the colour cast is an issue. Also like the barely visible fabrics in the background that fade away to complete blackness on the right and the hint of the red skirt? trousers? and boots. Maybe not enigmatic as the image says a lot about the "character" in the photo but that in it's self is a bit of a feat.

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't responded before now but thanks for all of the positive feedback. I had hoped to reply with a version without the colour cast etc but I haven't had a chance yet. Hopefully I will get it done early this week and maybe gt to add a couple more images.

Vic,

I don't have a regal greyhound to hand at the moment. But maybe Hamish will lend me his Whippet though, will that do? Actually there should be a bit more detail on the RH side but that seems to have got lost in the conversion. Hopefully the next one will be better. I will also see if I can get a bit more space above her head by altering the crop slightly (it is a square crop of a 5 : 4 ratio capture).

Back